(TFT) Multiple Characters

''There may be as many as fifteen or twenty people in a campaign. Each will have several characters. At any one time, some characters are resting from their wounds, others are at work on magical items or potions, others are working at their jobs to earn money -and others are out adventuring.''
    -ITL page 31

I must confess that I have never let my players run more than one character. At least, not without the New Followers talent, or paying for hirelings. I just never occured to me to let them run multiple unrelated characters. It is an intriguing idea. To let one player have a wizard in one town, a fighter in anther, and some other character in another. Maybe even all three in the same city, just unaware of each other. It seems like it would give the players a chance for a much wider range of role playing. It's a shame that I missed this part of the system. One GM I knew had a really well tuned system of running his campaign. Every real week between game sessions counted as two weeks of game time unless we went on an adventure. When we went on an adventure we had to finish it that session and it could take no longer than one game week. If the Labyrinth was too big sometimes we had to leave and return to our jobs, maybe to come back next session. It was very effective. We did most Labyrinths in instalments traveling to and from them each session. Encountering a few wilderness creatures. But mostly bringing the special equipment we learned we would need from the previous session. A Labyrinth makes a stronger impact on the imagination when you get to work on it in multiple installments. But it never occured to us that using this same system we could have multiple unrelated characters in his game. This would really have given us a bigger picture of the setting. In fact I don't really know of anyone who got to play multiple characters that didn't all run at the same time. I hope these words aren't too big, but this may be the single most undeveloped aspect of all role playing.

   David Michael Grouchy II