RE: (TFT) Language of Dice

     I don't know, it seems pretty
complicated...

Rick,
Hehehe. Got a nice chuckle out of that one. If I understood what I was reading earlier in the D20 battle reports two key issues came up. I summarize them here in my own words.

 1) doubling DX mods to offset the flat progression
    (attacking from the side became DX+4).

 2) loosing the distinction between more dice as a
    harder roll, and makinging everything just DX mods.

My premise is this; while Ty has advocated using a D20 for combat I don't think that requires changing every dice roll to the twenty sided. I propose using 3d6 for IQ rolls (disbelive, berserk, etcetera), 2d10 for ST rolls, and d20 for DX rolls (which are the vast majority of combat). That is the premise. On top of this is one benifit using the respective curves of the dice combinations to reflect the different attributes. On 3d6 vs IQ the difference between IQ 5 and IQ 8 is substantial, just as it is between the inteligence of a horse compared to a human. On 2d10 the differences in strength are still on a curve but less so. This seems O.K. as many monsters have ST 30 or more where as monster IQ never goes over 20 starting out. And lastly the D20 for a flat progression on DX. The second use, hopefully, of this is that difficult rolls (like 4D vs. a defending character) can be handled by simply adding 1d6 to the roll. So to attack a defending character one has to roll a twenty and a six, add them together and still make their DX. Or... d20+d6. A five dice roll vs. IQ, like resisting a word of command, is still 5d6 as all IQ rolls are on 3d6 to begin with. But take a strength roll for example. Someone trying to escape from being pined, normally a 4d roll vs. ST will be a 2d10 roll plus a d6, or 2d10+d6.

  In summary different dice are used for different attributes...
   d20 = DX roll
  2d10 = ST roll
  3d6  = IQ roll

And harder Dice rolls just add D6 to the roll. I submit that dice mods should remain as they are printed. An attack from the side being just DX +2. Only in the aim that TFT remains entirely intact with only a change in the dice combinations used. In way of specific examples below is a list of Melee saving throws and the new dice combinations that cover them. Also I reprent the Melee Options at the end (I noticed two typos I wanted to correct.)

   David Micahel Grouchy.

My humble contribution to the D20 system. I have had to gel this one a little while trying to figure out to explain it. Instead I realize that we speak the TFT language fluidly enough that numbers can speak for themselves. I choose the layout of the MELEE OPTIONS as combat seems to be the focus of the current rules testing. I submit that the D20 system can add more to the TFT system while still maintaining its unique combination of DX mods and increased number of dice rolled.

   David Michael Grouchy II

_______________________
_______________________

d20 = roll vs. DX
2d10 = roll vs. ST
3d6  = roll vs. IQ

   -d6 = subract roll on d6
   +d6 = add roll on d6
    @  = automatic success
_______________________

MELEE SAVING THROWS

    3d6      Ambush, Naturalist to detect plant or animal
    2d6      Ambush, anyone may save to detect prootwaddles
    -d6      Ambush, Alertness to detect any kind
    -d6      Ambush, Acute hearing, and alone, to detect any kind

    3d6      Berserk, go into or come out of

             Broken ground (DX -2)
d20          Broken ground, Moving over half MA (DX -2)

d20 +d6      Blunderbuss, if shot by to avoid 1+2 damage
2d10          Blunderbuss, shooting to avoid being knocked down
2d10          Blunderbuss, if shooting without guns talent (ST -4)

     d6      Break weapon, Finely made+1, 1-3 means dropped instead
     d6      Break weapon, Finely made+2, 1-4 means dropped instead

             Climbing/decending, fighting (DX -4)
d20          Climbing/decending, to avoid falling if fighting (DX -4)
d20 -d6      Climbing and spiking 2m vertical wall, Climbing Talent
d20 +d6      Climbing and spiking 2m vertical wall, Non climber
 @           Climbing spiked and/or roped wall 2m, Climbing Talent
d20          Climbing spiked and/or roped wall 2m, Non climber
 @           Climbing freely-hanging rope 1m, Climber/Acrobat
d20 -d6      Climbing freely-hanging rope 1m, Non climber
             Roped comrade, who falls, stop from yanking you off
               2d10 -d6    25kg or less
               2d10        26-49 kg
               2d10 +d6    50-100 kg
               2d10 +2d6   101-200 kg
             Roped comrade, abandon by cutting rope instead
                d20   (if you fail, then make above roll at +d6)
             Roped, everyone fails, with top secure to solid object
                1 in 6  rope breaks
             Roped, everyone fails, with top on a grapnel
                2 in 6  grapnel slips or breaks
    -d6      Climbing roll, 45 degree slope or steeper, easier
d20          Climbing roll, gentle slope <45 degrees, Non Climber
d20          Climbing, To stop rolling down a slope after 10m

             Concealment, you are leaning out from wall or tree (DX -2)
             Concealment, target is prone/kneeling behind body (DX -4)
             Concealment, target's head and sholders only (DX -6)
    3d6      Concealment, hide up a tree from persuing enemy

1 in 3       Cranequin fits any random crossbow
             Crossbow, you are kneeling/sitting with bow support(DX +2)
             Crossbow, you are lying prone (DX +1)

             Darkness, fighting or casting thrown spell (DX -8)
d20          Darkness, moving more than half MA
d20 +d6      Darkness and broken ground, moving more than half MA
             Darkness, missile/thrown weap or missile spell (max DX 5)

             Fire, green slime, troll, mummmy, water element, x2 dmg
             Fire, ordinary animal fighting against (DX -2)
d20          Fire, knocked down holding lit molotov to jerk wick out
d20 +d6      Fire, hit by molotov to avoid catching fire

d20 +d6      Gas bomb, to jump out of affected area
d20          Gas bomb, if you fall down, to aviod breaking
d20 -d6      Gas bomb, if you fall and bomb is in pack and cushioned

             Petard, to throw one requires at least ST 30
d20 +d6      Petard, to pull fuse if lit

 @           Poison, to remove poison sac from animal if naturalist
d20          Poison, remove poison sac if not a naturalist take 1d dmg
    3d6      Poison, to detect in food or drink and spit out
    2d6      Poison, to detect double dose in food or drink
 @           Poison, to detect triple dose or more in food or drink
    -d6      Poison, chemist/alchemist/or animals to detect food/drink

d20          Lasso, Loosen, cut, or break if ST > 20 and have hands

d20          Sheild rush, Remain standing vs. by figure => ST.
d20 -d6      Sheild rush, Remain standing vs. by weaker figure
 @           Sheild rush, Remain standing vs. by figure <= 1/2 ST

d20          Trampling, to roll out from under

             Water, ankle deep (DX -2)
d20          Water, ankle deep, move over half MA (DX -2), or fall
             Water, knee deep, MA/2, (DX -2)
d20          Water, knee deep, MA/2, move over 1/4 MA (DX -2), or fall
             Water, knee-neck deep, max MA 2, (DX -2)
d20          Water, knee-neck deep, max MA 2, move 2 (DX -2), or drown
             Water, hold breath, non swimmer, ST = turns
             Water, hold breath, swimmer, ST+10 = turns
             Water, hold breath, diver, ST+20 = turns
             Water, over head, weighted & walking, max MA 2,(DX -2)
d20          Water, over head, weighted & walk, move 2(DX -2), or fall
d20          Water, over head, weighted & walking, stand after fall
d20          Water, over head, dog paddle/swim and fighting, or drown
d20 +d6      Water, Drowning, non swimmer
d20 -d6      Water, Drowning, swimmer
 @           Water, Drowning, diver

_______________________
_______________________
d20 = roll vs. DX
2d10 = roll vs. ST
3d6  = roll vs. IQ

&d6  = variable number of damage dice
_______________________

MELEE OPTIONS

I. Stand still or move one hex and:
d20 &d6      Attack
     d6      Dodge* or defend (d6 added to opponents' attack roll)
             Drop to knee or prone
             Disengage
             Stand up
d20 &d6      Cast a spell
    3d6      Disbelieve
             Pick up dropped weapon

II. Move half your MA or less* (Note that engaged figures
   may only shift one hex) and:
d20 &d6      Charge Attack*
d20 &d6      Throw a weapon or jab with a polearm
     d6      dodge* (added to opponents' attack roll)
             drop to kneeling or prone
     d6      attempt HTH (opponent rerolls D to resist)

III. Move more than half your MA, up to your full MA.* Take
    no other actions except:
d20          Jump over 1 hex
d20 +2d10    Jump over 2 hex (rolled vs ST+DX)
d20          scoop up weapon

IV. Special Options.
             stand up and move half MA
             stand up and ready weapon
             drop ready and change weapons
             put up ready and change weapons and move up to 2 hexes*
             ready weapon
             swap weapoon with adjacent non enganged figure*
     d20     ready weapon if prone

V. Options for figures in hand-to-hand combat.
d20 &d6      Attck using hands or dagger (at DX+4)
d20          Attempt to draw a dagger
             Attempt to cast a spell (at DX-6)
d20 +d6      Attempt to disengage (at DX+4)
d20          Attempt to pin your foe
d20 -d6      Attempt to pin your foe (if you have 1 level higher UC)
d20 -2d6     Attempt to pin your foe (if you have 2 levels higher UC)
d20 +d6      Attempt to pin your foe (if you have 1 level lower UC)
d20 +2d6     Attempt to pin your foe (if you have 2 levels lower UC)
2d10 +d6      Attempt to break pin (if opponent is not stronger)