Re: (TFT) TFT d20: The Heresy Continues...

Ty,
	Ouch. I even waited 24 hours before replying, and I *still* think ouch.
	OK, here's comments/replies:

>1. I think that the TFT magic system, though it is a wonderful duelling
>system, stinks for an RPG.

??? I'm exploring the magic system myself, trying to see how it integrates
into a world. (e.g., "Glamor" makes makeup and hairstyles irrelevant. And
so on.) But my impression is that it's good for duels, but also very good
for an RPG. Can you quantify "stinks"?

>3. TFT wizards are tough to play because of the draconian need to power
>their spells (I know that many of us have ditched the "treat fatigue as
>damage" rule(. The result is that they are one-battle wonders, unless
>equipped with large ST batteries. Then, they gain outlandish capabilities in
>some instances (any GM who has ever had his Really Nasty Bad Guy felled by a
>10 die lightning bolt knows what I'm talking about).

"(...10 die lightning bolt forgot to give the Really Nasty Bad Guy a
self-powered Reverse Missiles item.)"
	But point taken about the power problems at the outset. In many
cases, the answers are:
1) Siestas (ie take a little 2-hour nap after each battle to recover)
2) NPC Apprentices (AKA walking strength batteries.)

	For cases where that's not practical, I present (tongue in cheek):

Ty Beard's Stone:
Greater Magic Item
Must start with a 5-point or greater ST battery, thus this is always the
second spell on an item (or later).
1) Gives the user the ability to cast Aid, per the spell.
2) Gives the user the ability to cast Drain Strength, per the spell.
3) May be made self-powering. If made Self-powering for 5 points, will
recharge the ST battery at 1 ST/turn.

(No, I would *not* turn anything like that loose in a campaign I was running.)

>2. Use of IQ to power spells rather than ST. I think I will adapt the
>suggestion to use IQ, rather than ST to power the spells. This makes magic
>users look to IQ and DX while warriors tend to look to ST and DX. Goodbye
>Arnorld Swartzenbicep wizards!

I like having Wizards divide by 3 instead of 2. At the outset, it limits
their power. After they are rich enough to buy a big ST Battery, they can
relax on the ST attribute and just go for IQ and DX anyway. Gives players a
reason to be fighters - they will be better than the wizards at first. Then
the wizards will be better later on. More interesting choices for the
players, also promotes teamwork. I really don't mind the idea of having a
wizard get very powerful *eventually* - but I might insist that he retire
at that point, and the player start a new character...

>3. I have found electronic versions of the AD&D 2nd edition spells...

But, but, ... doesn't that mean everyone who wants to be a wizard in a
campaign using these rules will have to have a copy of AD&D 2ed? Or, more
useful, a complete extract/conversion to ITL stats. (In d6 and d20 flavors?)

>4. Before I get to the list of spells (1st level wizard spells), I do have a
>question -- what spells are unique to TFT and should be retained to keep it
>its unique flavor? A spell that comes to my mind is the Illusion spell...

Not knowing AD&D, I'm way underqualified to answer. Here are some of my
favorites, nevertheless:
Sleep, Image/Illusion, Summon Myrmidon (any Melee fighter!), Create/Control
Gate, Greater/Lesser Magic Item Creation, Shapeshifting, Spellsniffer,
Expunge/Limiting, Spell Shield.

In general, I *love* the fact that practically all of the enchanted items
in the game can be made by the characters (theoretically, at least). None
of this "handed down from the mists of antiquity" stuff - I can make one. I
can even invent a better one, if I can agree with the GM about it. (Well,
maybe not "Shatter Weapon" ;-) ). Gives me something to build toward.

>6. Mage Talents Recap. The mage talents are listed with IQ cost in

	So here's what I suggest. Wipe out the heretofore useless "Priest"
and "Theologian" talents. (Honestly, has anyone ever seen either used?)
Replace them with your "Mage" talent list, renamed with religous names.
Leave the existing magic system in the game, with addition of the
5-die-per-turn Missile spell accumulation restriction (which I love).
Winnow down the AD&D spells list with an eye toward making it contain
"miracles" that would complement the existing TFT spells. Lean heavily on
the descriptions to emphasize "holy" or "evil" content. Maybe even have two
(or more) progressions of talents, one for the satanists and one for the
benevolent deists, and split up or duplicate the AD&D spells accordingly.
	Since the new "cleric" spells are "miracles", no ST (or IQ,
mana,whatever) cost. But there's a limit on how often the deity will grant
"miracles". Reading/memorizing prayers to request them fits right in if the
religion has a holy book.
	That gives the players more choice, and it permits a class of
characters (and with the IQ costs you listed, they will be effectively a
separate class) with "spell-like" abilities that do not wear out after one
battle. And you need not scrap the relatively well-liked (except for you)
magic and magic item system that's there now.

>Message
> The material component of the spell is a short piece of copper wire.

LOL. Pretty prescient material component, for a society with no
electricity. Shouldn't that be a phial of smoke from a signal blaze, or a
quill pen, or some such? Alternately, wouldn't it be more appropriate to
require a UART chip?

						- Mark