Re: (TFT) Not New Spell (summoned fighters)

<When Summoning a Myrmidon, what degree of freedom does a caster
have to set stats and skills?>

None.  Or all.  That's my recollection of the canon.

It depends which game you're playing.

AW says 12/12/8/10, 2d broadsword, no armor.  Period.  Pretty
unambiguous there.

Wizard, which is usually deemed to be superceded by AW, says
that if you're using Melee, your Myrmidons might have any ST/DX,
and presumably IQ, and any weapons (from Melee, it would stand
to reason).  I know this never seemed out of balance, and the
added interest was a good thing.  Without it, Summon was never
considered worth the slot.  With it, Myrms got summoned to bash
down doors, open suspicious containers, and once to give
rudimentary instruction on the use of a crossbow.  Our local
campaign had grown with the system, there would have been no
real way to reconcile AW's treatment with Wizard's freedom.  But
to be honest, it never came up.

I agree, AW Summon Myrmidon should not allow the full range of
AM weapons and ITL talents.  (Summoned Physikers, anyone?) But I
think the depth of play offered by the flexibility Wizard
suggests is a good thing.

And a player who is good at equiping Myrmidons (to the extent
Wizard/Melee allows) has earned the effectiveness that gains
him.  I see no reason to charge one slot per variant.

BTW, our summoned archers arrived fully equipped, including
arrows, and small shields on the default Myrm.