Re: (TFT) Shield rush in Melee --> Momentum of heavy blows.

> I don't know about any studies but I
> could guess.  I can bring my hand from over
> my head, a bit behind me to pointing at my
> knee in 3/4 of a second about.

I can do it in less than a tenth, but I've practiced doing just that for
many thousands of hours, and that isn't even close to my favorite shot.
(Favorite is a right hand inside backhand over the shield edge while
fighting with 2 swords, but I digress)

Incidentally, that doesn't mean that I can throw 10 blows a second, because
the recovery takes around 3 times as long, depending on the particular blow
thrown.

And you'd want to measure the velocity at the center of percussion, which a
bit more math that I want to do at the moment (oof, that's a nasty pun).

> I could easily see my estimate being
> off by a factor of 2, but I would doubt that
> my guess is off by a factor of 10.  So in
> summary, there is enough momentum to knock
> you off balance maybe, but it won't send
> you flying.

I'd disagree. I'd say it was by at least a factor of 10. There's guys faster
than me out there.

There is a claim that a single handed sword was measured doing 200 mph
(~90m/s) at the tip, but it's unsubstantiated.

I do recall a speed test from an old 'Bujin' magazine that put the single
handed rattan stick as the second fastest weapon measured, behing the
yardstick, but can't quite remember the speeds measured. For some reason
140fps comes to mind, but I can't be sure.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com