Re: (TFT) Spellcasting, Fatigue, Wounds and Arrows

Thank you, David, that is correct. For simplicity's sake and easy playability, we chose the 1 ring or coin amount to address magic rings and medallions made of iron such as zombie rings. Although it has never been discussed in our group, we have always assumed the wizard had to have the iron on his person to suffer the penalty.

As for being a metal detector, the thought behind that ruling was that a wizard is in touch with his magical aura. As such he knows when he has entered a normal magic zone, a dead magic zone or a high magic zone. He does not know that he has iron on his body; he knows something has suddenly interfered with his aura (-4 DX). Perhaps with an appropriate IQ roll he could identify the problem. Or maybe he has had the problem before and now recognizes it for what it is. It never became an issue in our group. We felt our wizards had been shot enough times to recognize the touch of iron.

Charles,
I get the feeling that NocStar's original intent was to enhance wizards by separating fatigue from wounds, and then to limit them a little more by allowing metal weapons sticking in them to cause a Dx minus. On the whole a trade off and fairly balanced. Though I have to agree with you, a few grams of metal filings seems to be pushing it a little to far in the limiting direction. I wonder if the science of magnetic fields wouldn't show that a single iron tip of 10 grams would generat a magnetic disturbance exponentialy greater than an equivalent weight of metal filings dusted over a character.

    David Michael Grouchy II