Re: (TFT) Hex map

In a message dated 2/16/2004 1:03:31 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

>Do they have surveying talents and equipment,
>or are they creating this verbatim map using Literacy (woo hoo!) and IQ 12?
>If they don't have the knowledge, skill, equipment, and aren't spending
>lots of extra time, mapping out each room, then their maps should be by
>hand on plain paper, at best. This adds another level of mystery and
>challenge, creates neat artifacts (maps with guesswork and misconceptions)
>as players try to figure out things that would be trivial before, less
>artificially represents the situation, and can be a lot of fun.

So far I agree. In fact, this is my own prefered solution: To allow players
to map freely, even if their characters aren't mapping, but to require that the
maps be done freehand on plain paper. However...

>I started refusing to give megahex-style information to non-survey-team
>characters after I saw how it was more interesting without it, even for my
>old maps which were originally drawn for megahexes.

I don't use megahexes myself, but I do think that the GM should give
accurate, detailed descriptions - including dimensions - even in cases where the
characters aren't surveying or even pacing off distances. The characters are
*there*, while the players only have the GM's description to go by. And while one
can't give a precise numerical answer just by eyeballing distances, one *can*
tell the distance in an intuitive, non-numerical, right-brained sort of way.

That's how I can, for example, reach out and touch my monitor screen, without
either putting my hand through it or falling short, despite the fact that I
couldn't tell you how many inches it is. It's also how characters can
instinctively adjust for the drop when using a thrown or missile weapon.

It isn't a matter of the characters being inaccurate and uncertain as to the
distances; it's a matter of them knowing accurately in a way that can't be put
into words or numbers. The best "translation" of this, when the GM describes
the scene, it to give accurate words-and-numbers descriptions and distances,
rather than a "fuzzy" inaccurate description that leaves the player's doubly
befogged as to what their characters see (and hear and smell).

I have a longer rant on the subject at
http://members.aol.com/erolb1/exactdist.html

I originally wrote this wrt D&D, but it applies equally well to TFT or any
other RPG.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow