Re: (TFT) Critical Spell Failures

As I mentioned, I like unpredictable spell backfires, or at least the chance of greater backfires than losing 1 fatigue.

Erol has clearly had some bad experiences with this, and I'd certainly agree that it could be done poorly, and that extreme backfires for simple spells, or for people trying to get extreme effects through mis-casting, should only be done when that's specifically wanted. But I'd consider those a different option. That is, there are several ways to handle it.

A very tame extension to the TFT effects would be that on a badly-missed roll, you use all the energy but it has no effect.

Another, as Erol mentioned, is to apply it to some spells but not to others. Adding a small but relevant chance of losing all the fatigue when casting a Gate spell would at least provide a reason not to cast the spell every day for camping or looting convenience, just because there's no good reason not to. Such things seem like over-use and situation-breaking effects that can remove a lot of the potential for interesting challenges in a game world. It can also shift the focus of the game to high-powered magic tricks and hoarders of magic items and so on, overshadowing and rendering largely irrelevant people without the toys, etc. The only way to challenge players with too many powerful and reliable toys is to have them noticed by other toy collectors and have to think about what the world power structure of toymasters is, and who's attention the player is going to attract. This can lead to games where things are decided by who has what toys, who's friends with which arch wizards, and so on. Many high-magic elements, though, tend to remove areas of challenge and interest from the game. Fighters get to be irrelevant when 14-myrmidon summons and high-powered lightning bolts and Heat Armor are common. Non-fatal wounds get to be irrelevant when magical healing is simple, easy and risk-free. Skills start to be irrelevant when there are too many magic items. Economy starts to be irrelevant when there is too much gold, or too many ways to get it. Travel and geography start to be irrelevant when there are too many travel-facilitating magics. Ordinary squads of fighters tend to be irrelevant when you have a self-powered Diamond Flesh ring. Walls, castles, and jails get to be irrelevant when you have easy enough Insubstantiality or Teleport. Etc.

On the other hand, you can indulge in a bit more magic without breaking the whole campaign, if magic is always limited by things like difficulty, risk, uncertainty, rarity, using up rare ingredients, etc.

Of course, some games may want the near-complete certainty of power that riskless high-power magic brings. Some players sometimes (some always I suppose) quite enjoy playing with reliable super-powers and exploring the things that can be done with them, and aren't really interested in dealing with chances of unexpected setbacks from their powers themselves.

So I guess it's both a question of style and preference.

Personally I generally like the GURPS Magic suggestions for breakdowns (which basically says GM discretion with guidelines, though it offers some generic tables as backup or for unimaginative GMs), when handled by a skilled GM with a good sense of proportion. Blowing a simple Fire spell by a lot would be most likely to just try to set fire to some random nearby location, or make a bunch of smoke with no fire, or heat something up, rather than causing a huge explosion. One of the guidelines is that a backfire should just about never do what the caster really had in mind.

PvK