Re: (TFT) Critical Spell Failures

In a message dated 2/21/2004 4:15:48 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

> Erol has clearly had some bad experiences with this,

Actually no, I haven't.

What I've done is look at what kind of campaign world would result if various
proposed fumble rules were used & and applied consistently, and decided that
I don't want that. Nor do I want a game that *depends* on the GM applying the
rules *in*consistently - which is what is needed to get a sane game-world with
insane fumble rules.

> and I'd certainly
> agree that it could be done poorly

I have never seen it done well - and that includes my own attempts at
producing fumble rules (both magical and non-). It's really hard to get the "right"
number of fumbles, using the usual game mechanics and applying them to routine
tasks. IME most such rules have fumble-events occuring far too often, and the
very few that that have them occuring too rarely are so awkward that one might
as well "round to zero" and not bother with *any* fumbles.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow