Re: (TFT) Critical Spell Failures

-- ErolB1@aol.com wrote:-------------------------------------

I have never seen it done well - and that includes my own attempts at
producing fumble rules (both magical and non-). It's really hard to get the "right"
number of fumbles, using the usual game mechanics and applying them to routine
tasks. IME most such rules have fumble-events occuring far too often, and the
very few that that have them occuring too rarely are so awkward that one might
as well "round to zero" and not bother with *any* fumbles.

Erol K. Bayburt
Evil Genius for a Better Tomorrow

Erol,
      At least for heros, I sort of like the 17 drop, 18 break rules in TFT as written.  Generally every 2 or 3 sessions someone drops or breaks a weapon. (yes, there is alot of combat in my game) Just often enough to keep things interesting, without being too annoying.

There are some flaws obviously, like a swordsman with 5 yrs experience and a 22 dex still drops his weapon as often as a modestly trained militia recruit, so it is not a perfect simulation of reality, but as a game mechanic (in a game that I like for its simple mechanics) it works for me.

Plus, I love the look of dismay when a player drops his weapon.  And the cheers that erupt when a giant opponent drops his great axe are fun too.

John