Re: (TFT) How many licks does it take...

-- ErolB1@aol.com wrote:--------------------------------------
OK, here's a question for the list (and especially for the "weapon breaks on
a roll of 18 is kewl fun!" contingent):

How easy should it be for a warrior to deliberately break his opponent's
blade?
As a drop on 17 and break on 18 is fun proponent I'll give it a try.

It should not be quite as easy as you suggest.  But I suppose, with a weapon designed to do so ( a sword breaker) and a special weapon skill, and an appropriate modifier to hit, and an adjustment for weapon type and quality, something could be worked out.  Too much effort (and truth be told, detail) for me though.

If I were to try though, I would look to the Quarterstaff as an example.  If you take the talent, you can strike at your opponents weapon at -4, if you hit he  gets a 3d save or drops the weapon.

If you allow a swordbreaker (which I recall reading existed), require a weapon skill to use it, and hit a sword at -4 or more (since you have to catch it right), then allow for some type of contested roll, or save, adjusted by the size, quality, and magic of the sword, it would probably be workable.  But what the roll would be, and what the adjustments should be I am not quite sure, but the peculiar weapon skill, and -4 (or more) to hit I am pretty sure about.

I will not be introducing this house rule in my game, because I don't see anyone using it if I offered.  No one has used any of the peculiar weapons yet (especially since I dropped the damage of boomerangs to 1+2 instead of 2d, which I think I stole from Ty's site).

Anyway, thats how I think attempting to break your opponent's sword should work.  What do you think?

John