(TFT) Rick's question about simple spell blooper ideas

At 09:42 PM 2/23/04 -0800, Rick Smith wrote:
        Because, I am not enamored with the
table you have to look things up with.  It
just feels clunky.  However nothing else that
gives the variety of encounter that I crave
suggests itself to me.

        Does anyone have any thought on this
point?

Some thoughts, anyway:

* GM discretion, and a good GM.

* GM discretion with simple guidelines,
and perhaps a memorizable one-die table
with varied guidelines, that the GM combines
logically with the nature of the spell, such
as this example with mild effects in mind:

  1: Generally just lose full fatigue and not
     much happens.
  2: If possible, spell seems to work, but
     really it didn't.
  3: If an information spell, false or opposite
     information is given.
  4: Spell works but the target is something
     close, but wrong.
  5: Spell effect is related to desired effect,
     but different. Should be something that
     the GM deems a spell could be made to do.
  6: Spell makes a lot of noise and/or light,
     but doesn't do anything. Wizard may
     decide to pretend this was done on purpose.

* Single, or a very few logical effects of
large failures listed for each spell.

* Guidelines based on categories of spells, and
the types of side-effects they tend to have.

* An alternative to tables is a deck of cards,
or a pre-made list, of spell fumble effects.
I don't know what about tables you don't like.
Some players would like this more or less than
a table.

* Simply losing full fatigue for the spell on
an 18.

* On an 18, wizard gets confused about the spell
and has to roll 4/DX to cast that spell until
they succeed with it.

* Brainstorm whatever seems fun and appropriate.
I think it really is a matter of personal taste.
Chat with your players, to sound out their tastes
and get ideas from them.

PvK