Re: Re: (TFT) Doing damasge modernly

> From: "rmorger" <rmorger@mail.ev1.net>

> As far as penetration goes, but unless you are talking
> about a modern type of armor that absorbs the kinetic
> force, AKA kevlar vest or similar, then the kinetic
> energy is spent in a direct force blow, AKA being hit
> by a sledge hammer or mace at full swing. Which can
> kill you every bit as dead as the bullet penetrating
> and bleeding you out.

I hate to turn this back to standard TFT, but now that
I've said that ...

I don't think TFT (or most RPGS) portrays blunt force
trauma very well.  TFT Chain, for instance, stops 3 hits
regardless of the type of weapon employed.  But to my
mind, chainmail is not very effective at mitigating blunt
force trauma.  Also, "hard" armor can become dented over
time, which can cause even more DX loss in mild cases or
even cause more damage to the wearer in extreme cases.

If I were going to redo TFT, I think I would give armor
3 "hits stopped" numbers - crush/pierce/slash - so that
chainmail might be listed as 0/-3/-3.  Weapons, such as
spiked clubs, would have their damage listed as 2+2/1+1/0
and you would roll for each type of damage when the
weapon hits the target.

As PvK mentioned, is playability vs realism and how much
you're willing to sacrifice one to get the level you want
in the other.

Dan