(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V3 #635

tft-owner@brainiac.com writes:

> The ammo the officer was using was checked and it performed almost
> exactly as it was spec'd to the only difference from the spec was
> the lead was slightly harder than was intended. They think this
> may have been the cause of the problem as the bullets didn't
> deform enough to cause the shock needed to stop the perp.
> Personally I think the perp just had a harder head than most.

plus from the description of the weapon in the story; "all five shots" , I'm
guessing the weapon in question is S+W chief's special. This is my back up
weapon (primary in the summer) and if it's loaded with the non plus P
semi-wadcutters I was forced to carry when I was a NYC police officer I'm not surprised
at the poor performance. the short 1 7/8" barrel sucks wind for muzzle velocity
plus since we couldn't carry hollowpoints the bullets didn't expand very much
(semiwadcutters can flatten and deform, but not likely from a snubnosed
revolver). Frankly, I'm surprised at the officer in question using this weapon as
his/her primary weapon during a felony apartment entrance.

Of course this is a different story with my other weapon; a 4" barrel S+W
model 10. When loaded with 158grain semijacketed hollowpoint plus P's, the
performance is within 20% of a . 357 magnum, so the . 38 special is not a weapon to
contemptuous of. Plus the statistics I learned in the police academy (granted
this was in 1986...) stated most shootings averaged 2 shots at distances less
than 10 feet, so "superguns" are not needed. the . 357 was developed in the
30's so the FBI could kill gangsters inside cars, and the .44 was just a nice
deer gun load until dirty Harry made S+W a LOT of money...

OB TFT: I agree with the contention the advantages of modern missile weapons
is firepower and ignoring primitive armor more than sheer mass
destructiveness. I also agree that rifles and shotguns are MUCH more destructive than
handguns...I guess the best way to quantify  modern weapon damage is to research,
research and research starting with the FBI statistics (I believe a lot of this
is on the web after being declassified) and then working down to information
available through local police departments (which frankly probably won't be
cooperative), to colleges that have criminal justice and especially forensic
science programs....

Here's another question: what about the morale aspects of being shot at in
Cidri? Will the locals s#$t their pants and run away, or (being fans of Arthur
C. Clarke...:-) ) , just assume it's another form of weird magic and try to
figure out ways to nullify it? Hmm; what happens to a minigun crew who has just
fired at a wizard who has a "return missiles" spell up?