Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments appreciated.

At 11:33 AM 12/28/04 -0500, ErolB1@aol.com wrote:
No, because I'm talking about *lethal* wounds - the kind that normally would
drop the guy dead at once. (In particular I'm thinking of a case where the guy
remained standing and shooting for about 10 seconds after taking a 12-gauge
slug through the heart.)

Oh I didn't realize that was the example you were focusing on.

How can that be interpreted as anything but negative
St in by-the-book TFT? Especially since the guy does drop dead, without having taken any further damage, after a couple of turns or so.

Well let's see, actually... remember the Berserk rules on Advanced Melee page 20? Psycho Bob has ST 11. He makes an IQ roll and goes berserk. He gets nailed with a shotgun which rolls double damage but rolls a low number - Bob only takes 10 damage. Since he is berserk, he ignores the usual DX penalties from extreme injury, even unconsciousness at ST 1. A couple of turns later, he thinks for a moment that his enemies are all dead for some reason, makes an IQ roll, recovering from berserk state, which causes him to lose 2 ST, dropping him to -1 = dead.

The only stretch there is the "he thinks for a moment that his enemies are all dead for some reason", but it would be a small house rule to apply some chance each turn that berserk wears off before the end of combat.

Still, that's not what I thought we were discussing; I thought we were discussing the DX penalties for even non-lethal wounds (on people who are not berserk). It's a different issue whether or not you allow negative ST figures to keep fighting or not.

So assuming a system such as GURPS where it is quite possible to keep fighting even with a soon-to-be-lethal shotgun blast to the heart, even when not berserk, and taking this example, are you saying that not only should the victim be able to keep fighting for a while, but that it should be at zero penalty? Or are you suggesting that the penalties should only kick in at ST 0 rather than ST 3?

I agree that it affects tactics - but I think it makes hard-hitting
characters less favored, not more. With Dx penalties for damage, a character who hits hard enough to inflict a Dx penalty is favored over one who hits less hard, even if he hits sufficiently more often that his average-damage-per-turn is the same.

That's another side-point, but I was considering something like the two typical 32-point thugs:

Thug A: ST 10 DX 14 Cutlass Small Shield
Thug B: ST 15 DX  9 Battleaxe

In b-t-b TFT, Thug A will go first and have a great chance to hit, with a good chance to do average or better damage, which is 5+ points, and enough to drop Thug B by -2DX. That effect will make a huge difference on Thug B's chance to hit, dropping from DX 9 to DX 7, though it's still quite possible Thug B will nail Thug A and very likely do lethal or debilitating damage.

Without the DX effects of injury, Thug A has will have a much smaller chance of doing the 8 points damage now needed to have any effect on Thug B's counterstrike, so he'll likely have to risk the DX 9 counterstrike which can easily kill Thug A.

If I'm Thug B, I would rather play with your rules.

If I'm Thug A, or a player fighter character who is going to have to fight a typical adventure involving a series of combats, then I prefer b-t-b rules, because it's easier to take out people who are on their way down without getting pounded in return with nothing to do about it except change tactics to missile weapons or polearms or magic or cannon fodder.

Except that it's realistic for people in deadly-serious fights to keep
fighting at full effectiveness until dead (and occasionally to keep fighting at full effectiveness even after they're dead...)

Even after they're _dead_ would be even worse! ;->
I'm not at all convinced it is more realistic to have no effect from injury. I see no reason to presume that the cases where people have kept fighting after mortal injury are not the exceptions which get mentioned because they are unexpected and rare. If humans _usually_ were completely unaffected by wounds in combat, then it seems to me that would be what most people would expect, and we would instead be surprised to hear of cases where someone was blasted in the heart and were affected by it before they dropped dead.

Moreover, b-t-b TFT doesn't deny badly injured figures the opportunity to retaliate - it just applies an effect. You're suggesting that getting seriously injured has no effect at all - has no chance of reducing someone's effectiveness. Again, having seen very non-serious blows cause people to be stunned and completely out of action for quite some time, I would disagree. I think both extremes are possible, but I think for instance that if you do a marksmanship or other DX-related test between people who are not under attack, and those who are getting beaten up, getting pounded will be a noticeable negative factor in their performance.

If anything, the TFT penalties actually seem pretty low to me, except for the sudden death point. By comparison, in GURPS, where the usual penalty is -1 per point of damage you just took (though only for the next second) and health and DX rolls to avoid being stunned and losing your ability to act or falling down, but negative damage characters are allowed to keep fighting for a while, it often happens just as you are describing your anecdotes, with some healthy or berserk victims continuing to fight on, often quite dangerously, for a significant time after they have been seriously and likely mortally injured. That's with what seem to me like more severe effects of injury rules than TFT. What allows it are the rules which allow continued fighting - not any reduction in negative effects from injury.

Also, it can lead to situations which are counter-intuitive - such as in the earlier thread on this list where someone mentioned their first experience trying to play GURPS, and not understanding why people weren't getting taken out right away by serious injuries. Again, it seems to me that people surviving massive injury and continuing to fight on just as dangerously should be the exception rather than the rule, unless trying to reproduce the Black Knight scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

PvK