Re: (TFT) Experimental Injury and Healing rules - comments appreciated.

In a message dated 12/28/2004 1:54:28 PM Central Standard Time, pvk@oz.net
writes:

>At 11:33 AM 12/28/04 -0500, ErolB1@aol.com wrote:
>>No, because I'm talking about *lethal* wounds - the kind that normally
would
>>drop the guy dead at once. (In particular I'm thinking of a case where the
>>guy
>>remained standing and shooting for about 10 seconds after taking a 12-gauge
>>slug through the heart.)
>
>Oh I didn't realize that was the example you were focusing on.

Let me try to clarify: You claimed that people taking damage and not
suffering penalties to act does happen in real life, but is rare.

I claimed that it is only rare in real life for people to take lethal,
negative-St-producing injuries and still continuing to fight without penalty (for a
short time).

Taking *non*-fatal wounds, and still fighting without penalty, OTOH, is
something I claim is common in real life.

(We may have to agree to disagree on this point.)

>That's another side-point, but I was considering something like the two
>typical 32-point thugs:
>
>Thug A: ST 10 DX 14 Cutlass Small Shield
>Thug B: ST 15 DX  9 Battleaxe
>
>In b-t-b TFT, Thug A will go first and have a great chance to hit, with a
>good chance to do average or better damage, which is 5+ points, and enough
>to drop Thug B by -2DX. That effect will make a huge difference on Thug B's
>chance to hit, dropping from DX 9 to DX 7, though it's still quite possible
>Thug B will nail Thug A and very likely do lethal or debilitating damage.

Well, the small shield means that Thug A does almost a full point more in
"average damage per round"

>If I'm Thug B, I would rather play with your rules.
>
>If I'm Thug A, or a player fighter character who is going to have to fight
>a typical adventure involving a series of combats, then I prefer b-t-b
>rules, because it's easier to take out people who are on their way down
>without getting pounded in return with nothing to do about it except change
>tactics to missile weapons or polearms or magic or cannon fodder.

If I'm Thug B, I'm screwed whichever set of rules are used, and it's not
obvious to me if Dx effects of injury make it worse for me or not. I'd have to
crunch the numbers.

(Checking my original post, I didn't say I would drop the "knocked down at 8
pts of damage" rule as well - and I should have included that as part of the
package. My bad.)