Re: (TFT) Using the Real World...(was Mapping Cidri / Campain proposal)

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Gfoeller" <johng3110@hotmail.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>

Ty, I *like* your scenario, especially how you didn't tell your players everything -- just that they were living along a big river, etc. It sounds good. I also agree with your five benefits of using the real world continent as a template for a Cidri campaign:

Thanks.

The cool thing is that it allowed me to take the campaign in a number of directions if I decided to -- classic fantasy, post apocalyptic, sci-fi (I considered a Logan's Run style enclosed city), even wild west (maybe some areas didn't regress completely, or had recovered somewhat). <sigh> Pity it didn't last (I got real busy in my day job).

Now, while I am on the subject of the real world, has anyone else encountered the following problem in creating a campaign: food production?

In other words, how do the various sentient races feed themselves on Cidri? I know that humans and hobbits engage in farming (as well as hunting, gathering, fishing and herding), but how do Elves get a meal? Dwarves? Orcs? Etc.

S. John Ross has broken down the acreage required for food production in the middle ages: http://www.io.com/~sjohn/demog.htm Basically, a nation can support from 30-120 people per square mile depending on the richness of the farmland.

Here's also a large set of links to articles about various aspects of fantasy and middle ages economics. http://homepage.mac.com/jeremybaker/towerhills/demoecon.html