http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0102/msg00076.html

From: Thorn
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:37:46 -0500
 Gates should never be mobile.  A mage with a big ST battery or squad of
apprentices is mobile enough.

But hey, while we're abusing the Gate concept...

Anyone up for launching a demon into orbit?

Questions for the class:  How many transits, (T), of a 1000-foot drop
shaft would an object need to make to achieve Earth-normal escape
velocity, assuming Earth-normal gravitational acceleration?  Given T
from above, assuming Gate instability beginning on the 100th transit of
any particular gate, and taking into account the one-minute period of
gate function despite instability, derive number of Gate pairs, (G),
needed to attain T.  Given G from above, assuming Guild-standard 25-ST
working days, and two apprentices per master, derive number of
master/days to produce G.  Show all work.

For extra credit: Volunteer to ride that puppy, so we can open a Gate at
apogee.  Volunteers should be able to answer the following question:

Will the Gate created in orbit be geosynchronous?  Explain if not, and
describe.