Re: (TFT) Magic in combat and TFT...

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 16:00, ErolB1@aol.com wrote:
> >From my point of view:
> 4. I have pumped up heroes in pursuit of a more "cinematic" style of play. A
> swordmaster type hero with an attribute total in the 40-45 range might well
> have two attacks per turn with adjDx in the 20-25 range. Partly this is from new
> & modified talents, but mostly it comes from heroes in Etan basically having
> twice the skill points of by-the-book TFT characters.

This is much the same as what I did.  Superscripts
make learning more talents possible, and I've added
powerful talents for the heros.

> (One result of this that I consider a feature but that I suspect that many on
> the list would consider a bug is that a 32 point hero is different from - and
> much more competent than - a 32 point "mundane" class NPC who doesn't get
> doubled skill points.)

I make my NPC's use the same rules as PC's but I
can't complain as PC's seem to get experience at
double to triple the rate of NPC's.

> 5. I've mostly avoided boosting the raw per-casting power of wizards: No
> talents that boost the adjDx of spells, and essentially no new & powerful high IQ
> spells.
>
> Can you give an example or two of a high-level wizard who would be
> over-powered without the restrictions you put on them to keep them about equal to
> heroes?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.  The
basic problem is that the high level spells
greatly increase the wizard's power, far more
than an extra few DX & ST help a fighters.

A wizard can learn Word of Command.  Suddenly
he can manipulate a hundred people at a time
(save the handful who make their IQ roll).

A similarly experienced fighter can ... learn
Charisma?

A wizard can summon up a 7 hex Dragon to fight
for him.  (For a couple minutes or so using a
system where wizards get *5 duration on their
spells.)  A fighter can... upgrade his long
sword to a great sword?

We both have added powerful talents for
fighters to address this.

By my restrictions on wizards, do you mean the
standard spell durations?

Regards, Rick.