Re: (TFT) armies and healing

At 01:41 AM 9/15/06 -0400, Erol wrote:
As for PCs latching on to items - *of course* they will. They're
professionals. Professionals will have professional-grade gear. And in a RPG with magic items, those items *are* "professional-grade gear."

Naturally.

Of course I wasn't saying everyone should use the rules we came up with to suit our tastes.

However we were unhappy with the effect of magic items on gameplay, and the way it ended up emphasizing toys, wealth, shopping opportunities, theft, and character abilities defined by things they owned, yet were practically inseparable from (always wear rings, sleep in armor, carry magic weapons everywhere at all times). After playing situations where ability and cunning were vital, and then having characters get their hands on items which made them able to massacre whole squads of people with relative ease and little risk, and without using any particular tactics, even though they could never do that without their magic items, it was making the games less interesting for us.

The breakdown rules we came up with didn't stop magic item use, or make it not professional gear. It just made added uncertainty, gradual consumption, and reasons not to use them all the time even when they were unnecessary. Real professionals value their best equipment but they also ration its use, and use the right tool for the job.

And even leaving out the aesthetics, "works great - until it breaks"
mechanics in general tend to be problematic in terms of balance. The result is usually something that's been generally described as "overbalanced" or as a "fragile" or "unstable" balance.

That's certainly something to watch out for. Especially if (as in your case) you are happy with the infinite use magic items. We ended up liking the results of our system pretty well. It also added some details we found interesting, like magic items being more valuable depending on who enchanted them, and hanging onto worn out magic items as unreliable but sometimes useful devices.

PvK