Re: (TFT) Rules for armor penalties

In a message dated 9/24/2006 5:36:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
rsmith@lightspeed.ca writes:

>   These are rules that I've imposed on players from
> time to time.  They have succeeded in making plate
> armor very rare in my campaign...

[rules snipped]

I stick pretty close to the book rules for armor. They're simple, and while
they might not be accurate or "realistic" they do discourage the wearing of
heavy armor just to the extent I want.

I've added "fine leather" and "fine chain" to the possible armor types and
also chain byrnie (including a "fine" version) and a plate breast & back. These
are appropriate to my campaign because I am shooting for a deliberately
swashbuckling sort of game. "Robin Hood meets Gandalf the Grey and the Three
Musketeers"

I make massive use of "called shots," prefering them to any sort of "critical
hit" system. One place where this does indirectly change the rules for armor
is in making called shots at the chinks & weak points in armor. The basic rule
I use is to take a Dx penalty for the location (minimum -2 Dx) plus an
additional -1 Dx for each point of armor bypassed. An "eyeslit" shot against a
figure wearing 5 pt plate armor is thus -11 Dx: -6 Dx for a called shot to the head
plus -5 for the plate armor, but a successful hit bypasses the armor and does
double damage.