(TFT) Re: Kids and TFT

At 4:56 -0500 11/18/06, Aidan (?) wrote:
  I have an 8, 6 and
  3 year old. I'm not sure they're ready for a dungeon crawl...although they
  don't mind taking over the galaxy on Star Wars Battlefront.

Based on my experience, 6 seems the minimum to get much into the game as a wargame. Even then, many of the role-playing aspects will be hard to "regulate" - kids younger than that just don't have the same concept of "fantasy" or same requirement for consistency within a world that adults do, so there will be a lot of referee/player clashes about "you can't do that". (Playing by canon helps some here).

Also based on my experience, boys don't mind hack/n/slash fighting, but girls will want to spend a lot more time on role-playing and developing relationships. This is probably pretty personality dependent, but your campaign probably needs to be able to support both if you've got both.

My experience is limited - kids now 6,10,13 and been playing for a couple of years. The 4-year-old was just *barely* interested when we gave him a strong dumb fighter and told him when to roll the dice and what he had to roll. His two older sisters were *thrilled* to discover the "mundane talents" (Baker, etc.) in the talent list.
--
                           Mark Tapley, Dwarf Engineer
                       (I haven't cleared my neighborhood)