Re: (TFT) Killing Joe

"Traditional" filipino escrima sticks are generally sold at 28" length. This is roughly the common length for bolos and machetes, even a Roman gladius or japanese wakizashi, so probably a shortsword or cutlass sized weapon in TFT. Some Americans are using longer sticks (36") on account of the fact that Americans are, in general, taller than Filipinos. Some escrima styles use much shorter sticks (20") and knife sized sticks at 9" (handle and blade together). The change in size based on height is common like with the Japanese jo-staff, which is measured from the armpit.

Aidan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Carlisle" <selfinflicted_wounds@boardermail.com>
To: <tft@brainiac.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: (TFT) Killing Joe

OUCH!
I DON'T wanna know.....
yep... theres also flesh involved. The Mythbusters were getting 5 or 6 inches into balistic gel with chineese broadswords. This is actually a depressing subject. I try to work on damage a bit at a time as a result. Speaking of swords it seems that 30" is pretty standard for length even among seperate cultures and time periods. Even Kali sticks don't get longer than about 3ft.