(TFT) Leonardo da Vinci; Square Hexes; Proportion

If you look carefully at a tree, you can observe that 'small' branches  stick out at almost "Right Angles" from 'large' branches, which angles are much smaller.

Also from da Vinci, "All the branches of trees at every stage of their height, united together, are equal to the thickness of their trunk."

This has to do with "Flow" or 'least restance'.

Think about it.

If the branch is small then the 'cross section' of water subjected to friction is larger.

If water is gonna branch, it'll prob. do it NEAR a right angle. (shorter distance, less friction)

Try bending a long saw (etc.)
See how the 'meanders' happen.

OKAY!

I say that to say this....

If I want to give a GOOD rep. of "Mass Combat" then I 'TRULLY' need a Very Good Def. of what a hex "IS"!

After that then it's a choice of what scale the action is...

I "LOVE" your insightful comments on the 'Game World'.
I think this might tie to the stuff I'z talking about with PC's "LIVING" in an area.
It sure does make it more detailed.

GREAT THOUGHTS!