(TFT) TFT tactics point

Just a brief clarification on the differences between TFT and Legends.  It
is not a matter of being realistic, it is a matter of play balance and flow.
The TFT combat procedure is elegant and works very well, with only the few
little points people have about a singular spell or some other small
preference.  Because of the non-simultaneous aspect of a representation of
combat, "zones of control" were developed to restrict unrealistic sequential
style movement, not just in TFT but in other "wargames" as well, to good
general effect.  The ZOCs can be rigid or soft, but they are usually there
in a I go/you go type turn for good reason.  Efforts to compensate for this,
like GURPS defensive rolls, etc. don't work well and aren't enjoyable to
play, IMO and other gamers' opinions, as well.

The current Legends rules allow ganging up on one character at a time which
I have gamed out with several test sessions with other experienced players
and result in eliminating one or more characters almost assuredly in a
combat.  The lack of engagement and a few other details of the combat (such
as the skills adds) change the fundamental workings of the TFT tactical
system and allow a competent GM to destroy a party in two encounters or less
almost every time.  Try it out for yourselves, playing the Legends rules as
they are written being sure not to incorporate any assumptions of TFTish
aspects such as engagements, etc.  with something you have experience with,
such as Death Test.  If you have any questions about how to do this write me
and I can help with the details if you don't discover them on your own.

I think on a rewrite we would really want to stick with what has worked and
effectively been playtested over 30 years.  Any changes I think would need
to be suggestions and indicated as such in the text so players could stick
with the TFT rules that drew them in in the first place.  Moving away from
the current tactical system usually gives rise to a GURPish style combat
system.  After analyzing the two systems it really dawned on me that there
may only be these two fundamental ways to handle this level of combat, GURPS
style and TFT style.  At the time GURPS was under development SJ seemed to
make me think he thought that in the end it would be a better game, but I am
thinking he didn't have much choice since he couldn't use the TFT style
tactical combat that he had left with HT, either out of pride or for legal
reasons.  I much prefer and enjoy the TFT style and I assume others on this
list do, too.  But to each his own, but I certainly would like to play
anyone with the Legends rules as the GM in any of the original microquests
and see how you fare! :-)

-Kirk