Re: (TFT) Avert Spell --> Todd's questions

On Tue, 2007-30-10 at 07:33 -0500, Todd Roseberry wrote:

> When you say that the wizards affected by the Megahex Avert could not cast
> spells, is this because of distance to the target caused by the avert or
> some other reason?

Some other reason: they have moved more than one hex per
turn.  If they got to the edge of the room they would
have to stop and then they could cast their ubber spells
(whether or not they fell down).  But we killed them
before they got that far.

> With Avert, you cast it on the target. With Megahex
> Avert, it appears from reading the text that you still cast it on the enemy
> occupants but the number of targets increase and apply to all located in the
> megahex. It does not appear that you cast it on yourself.

My character was not affected by his own Avert.

> This makes a big
> difference. If the Megahex Avert is cast on the casting wizard then the only
> way the enemy can "dispell" it is with Remove Thrown Spell cast on the
> original casting wizard; this could be difficult since each turn you move 2
> hexes further away thereby increasing the negative modifiers for distance.
> If, OTOH, the spell is cast on the enemy occupant of the megahex, regardless
> of the number, each enemy occupant could cast Remove Thrown Spell on himself
> in order to "dispell" the effects of the spell as they relate to him.

The spell is cast on the figures, not on the hex.  They
could not cast a 'dispell' on themselves since they had
moved too far to take the 'cast spell' option (1 or fewer
hexes) each turn.

> My reading of Megahex Avert leads me to believe that it affects the enemies
> in the megahex at the time of casting and is not a continuing area effect
> spell centered on the casting wizard. By this I mean, if, after casting
> Megahex Avert and while continuing to charge it, "new" opponents arrive in
> the megahex, they would not be affected by the spell. It would need to be
> recast to affect the new opponents. Does this sound right?

Right, Rick.