From: tft-admin@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-admin@brainiac.com] On Behalf
Of David Jackson
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:27 PM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Is it an RPG or really a Tactical RPG?

My rebuttal follows.

On Apr 24, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Christopher Brandon wrote:

> Hello all
>
> Former lurker, new poster here.

So you make your first post by insulting the game that everyone on
this list loves?

We'll see about that.

> I always thought the Melee/ Wizard series of games (TFT, Underearth)
> never really came together as true RPG's like D&D, T&T, Traveller,
> etc.
> The primary focus was programmed adventures where combat encounters
> were
> the focus over Role-Playing encounters.

The phrase "true rpg" is a fallacy.  There is no such thing as a
"true rpg".

Secondly, a focus on combat encounters does not preclude the game
from being a roleplaying game.

Sorry to say, there are some of us that like to roleplay heroic
warriors and wizards and such, who spend most of their time slaying
evil creatures and righting wrongs.

Additionally, there are some of us who would be totally bored in a
game that did not center around heroic conflicts.

> In fact, the system would seem to be more appropriately played as a
> Tactical RPG in the style of video games like Final Fantasy Tactics,
> Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, Rondo of Swords, and may others.  For those
> not familiar, these are combat centered adventures where a story line
> progresses from combat to combat and your success in each battle
> determines the progression of the epic story line.

Nothing is stopping you from using TFT as a wargame, or as a
roleplaying, or as a little of both.

There's no need to invent new phrases like "tactical RPG".

> This leads me to the idea of Campaigns.  This would be an over arching
> storyline where combat is the core of the adventure.  You would build
> your brick of 4 PC characters and as an adventure progress NPC's join,
> possibly die, and you can hire mercenaries to fight with you.  Your
> success or failure determines in each battle the overall storyline
> progression.  There would be a mix of large battles and small
> interlude
> battles both require you to pick your team prior to combat so as you
> build your roster of PC's, NPC's and mercenaries you have to select
> who
> would be good for the battle.
>
> Is this idea of interest to anyone else?
>
> Cheers!
> Chris

If you were to reframe this so that it was an ehancement to TFT
played as a wargame, rather than an RPG, you might get somewhere.

David