(TFT) Speaking of trampling...

Okay, so all the talk about large creatures and trampling brings up another
question of mine.  I'm a bit confused by the trampling rules, so let me see if
I can get it clarified here.  Here is what I have come up with:

The first way to trample is the push back.  So say I have a 4 hex giant
unengaged.  I move him to engage 3 figures.  If all 3 figures ST combined is
less than the ST of my giant, I can push them all back, right?  This is where
I'm confused.  Do the figures that are being pushed back have to be directly
in the path of the giant's movement?  Say if a 4 hex giant was moving forward
and engages 4 figures.  If his ST was high enough, could he push back all
those figures.  Due to the shape of his base, he would not be able to move
onto the spaces of all of those figures.  If he's able to push back all the
figures, then what would happen?  Would the figures just fall down in their
hexes like normal, or would they be "sucked" into the giant's hexes to get
trampled.

The other way is to shift onto other figures when engaged.  So my giant is
engaged now, and it's his turn to move.  When a multi hex figure shifts, it is
able to break engagements, right?  So if my 4 hex giant was surrounded on all
sides, he would be able to sidestep and possibly trample 3 figures, right?
Those figures have to roll 3/DX too in order to hop back, or be sucked under
into HTH.  Is that right?

Here are some questions about the figure being trampled.  Once the giant
leaves the space you were trampled on, are you free to stand up next turn
(otherwise you'd have to roll 3/DX to take the stand option if you were
underfoot).  Or, do you travel with the giant, and you have to roll 3/DX to
escape?  If you stay on the hex where you were knocked over, can you
voluntarily choose to latch onto the giant and keep stabbing?

I think those are all the rule questions I have.  I was wondering if anybody
had some strategies to share.  I haven't had much luck with playing multi hex
creatures, and I'd like to give them more chances hearing from all the great
feedback.  How should they engage enemies?  Should they go straight ahead, or
work around to the rear.  If the multi hex creature has allies, where should
they be?  Should they be guarding the creature's sides and rear?  Should they
run ahead to engage the enemies so the creature can trample them from behind?
Should you always trample if you're able?  I've found that trampling can get
me into bad situations because if the figure makes the DX roll then they can
just move behind you, and you can't do anything.