(TFT) Breaking Hex Orientation

Your moving cautiously through the darkness, probing ahead with your ten-foot pole, single file with the cavern walls pressing in on either side. But you're confident in the knowledge that you and your party of intrepid adventurers are travelling along the "straight" spine of the hex grid. A door appears on your left. You open it and peer down a new, dark corridor, stretching south to north into black shadow. You step into it and suddenly get an uneasy feeling...wait a second...these hexes are still along the "straight" spine of the hex grid...what vile sorcery is this?!

I was thinking about those displaced square grids that are basically the same as a hex grid, but with squares. How would you create a straight, one-square wide corridor going "against the grain" with one of those? Simple: you'd create a new grain. Suddenly instead of the north-south squares being displaced, the east-west squares become displaced.

This would only work, of course, in a dungeon-tile laying style game, since you couldn't draw it on a pre-gridded sheet of paper. I think the Dwarven Forge scenery does this sort of thing.

Can you anticipate a way (other than mapping headaches) that this would negatively effect the game as far as rules go?