(TFT) Counties, Blocks

At 17:24 -0400 3/27/09, Chris wrote:
Possibly closer to States. Some of our traditional counties still relate back to Celtic kindoms, roman administrative areas or Anglo Saxon kingdoms.

:-) <slows speech to a drawl> Two of our States were once nations.

Texas, (birthplace of TFT), and Hawaii.

But I think neither for any stretch of time the English would consider as "historical". Kamehameha I united Hawaii c. 1795 and it was admitted to the union in 1959; Texas was an independent nation only from 1836-1845.

Since the institution of the Interstate Highway System (spit), the Federal government has been not-so-slowly eroding states' rights. I suspect the equivalence to English Counties may be correct. I also suspect advancing transportation and communication technologies have led (and will continue to do so) to a serious homogenization of most developed countries.