(TFT) Re: SPAM::TFT Digest V4 #12

At 1:59 -0500 2/6/10, Jay wrote:
Mr. T recently reported a old-school marathon session.
I miss those, and I never got to measure this personally, but my general
fealing is that 90 minunets is about right to get through a drama-point in
an adventure.
Mark, does about 90 minuets twixt intenst action in the game sound about
right for the game?
Potty breaks and whatnot? (I don't smoke in front of my non-smokers for
example.)
This becomes interesting when you start trying to fit 100 years of detailed
downtime into a 90min play session as opposed to a session of 5 second turns
in 90 min.

If playing on a regular basis, and you have a table or other play area that can be left set up with maps etc., I can imagine 90-minute sessions. Since I get to the table about 1/year, I really want the session to be long enough to include:

finalizing characters,
catching up with friends' lives for the last year,
adventure introduction,
several challenging battles,
2 or 3 intense strategizing sessions,
maybe one or two ethical discussions
	("do we *really* have the moral high ground here? I mean, we are
	 stealing, even if we are stealing from thieves..."),
wrap up in time that nobody gets killed driving home.

I was pretty happy with the play "intensity" of our last (16-hour marathon) session; it was close to the number and types of elements above, so, looking back, I think your rule of 90 minutes per drama-point is pretty good, assuming a "drama-point" can fit into any of the categories I listed above. I know for sure we played past the point of diminishing consciousness for several of our players, though; so I suspect the strategy of 4.5 hours, including 3 or so "drama points", on each of 4 successive nights, might work even better.

--
						- Mark     210-379-4635