Re: (TFT) Wizard mods - out of balance?

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I'm actually trying to convert a friend from DnD to TFT, and recently did so, because they like Bards, and I pointed out to them that in DnD you bascically can't be a badass bard, but in TFT, with so much room, you can! You can be a bard with a battleaxe and some balls to back it up!

Truly a great game, and I've always thought the simplicity is the reason.
On Mar 20, 2011, at 7:35 AM, David Michael Grouchy II wrote:

Quoting Joey Beutel mejobo@comcast.net:

What do you mean by 'how to make characters less powerful?'

From: raito@raito.com

I mean, no one ever says, "These characters are to powerful. I think we should do something so that they're less so." I have seen no proposals
for this.

What I do see is people trying to put more numbers on their character
sheets.

I'm very much with Ratio on this one. I'm far more dangerous and angry about it though, saying things like 'the need for more numbers is the sign of a weak mind.' I could run an entire solar system of planets full of people, through all tech levels, and with infinite variety (including things like inteligent robots and baby scaleless dragons) with the existing In The Labyrinth systems.
I have witnesses who can verify this.

One of the reasons I have cut way way back on postings, is the urge to jump in an point out how much time people are wasting just doesn't work. If people like adding numbers and fiddly bits to their game let them. Let them waste their time and be totally dumb in missing the greatest game system ever made.
No concern of mine.

I mean look at what my Ideas did to poor Jay.  I showed him the four
dimensional tesseract way of looking at the entire system, but like a man trapped inside that tesseract he keeps running from room to room and looping
back on himself.

I've written posts on this very forum showing how a single talent in TFT is exactly equal to an entire character class in AD&D. I mean it's really really obvious. Theif, Priest, Warrior, Steve Jackson didn't even change the names. Slow down and hear the words for a second. I mean Illusionist is an ENTIRE
character class in AD&D.  It's a two point talent in TFT.

TFT is god level play.  Not 'can be', not 'close to', but 'IS'.

I have written countless posts showing direct conversions of Dieties from the Dieties & Demigods books into begining 32 point TFT characters, and prooved that it can be done. Not only that, I can fit almost all of them on a single
3x5 inch index card.

So go ahead. Play the game of bigger numbers, and more of them. And I'll
continue lurking here until someone can raise up a child with a four
dimensional mind so I can continue the conversation with someone who has a
clue.

As to 'why' am I saying this, and 'why' am I saying this 'now?'
Because I want the subscribers to know, I don't have a problem with people
personalizing the game.
Go ahead and 'fix', I'll even help point out balance where I can.
But don't think for a minute, that some of us don't already recognize the
masterpeice for what it is.

/rant off
David Michael Grouchy II