(TFT) Analysis of D&D word value TSR era

Here is an analysis I did on D&D back in 1995 when I realized that the entire
gaming industry was suffering from numbers creep.  I originally posted it here
in 2006.

Link to original post.

http://tft.brainiac.com/archive/0609/msg00141.html

As one can see from the follow up posts,
it was not well recieved and some very strong criticisms were made of it.
The comments were pretty valid.  From the prevailing views of the hobby.  And
My asertions a bit dated and antique.

It was then that I began to realize that very few people saw FRPGs in the old
school way where a sheet with nothing but a name on it was enough to start
one's struggle with the gods.

Anyway, my view of expansions hasn't changed.

:)

          AD&D drops the bomb on itself
(A brief study of the use of the word 'hero' in AD&D,
              with a TFT conclusion)

         In CHAINMAIL a hero is listed as being equal to four heavy horse. In
MEN & MAGIC a hero is four D8. Yet in THE PLAYERS HANDBOOK it is four D10.
And in DEITIES & DEMI-GODS the average hit points of the 22 listed heroes is
139.6363. In the later case the minimum number of D10 that could cover such a
massive number of hit points would be fourteen.  But that's if one rolls
straight tens.  It is an average roll for twenty six D10.  Listed in order of
publication the inflation of numbers against the word value of hero is clear.

HERO
4D6     CHAINMAIL           (c) 1971 ''Tactical Studies Rules''
4D8     MEN & MAGIC         (c) 1974 ''Tactical Studies Rules''
4D10    PLAYERS HANDBOOK    (c) 1978 ''Tactical Studies Rules''
26D10    DEITIES & DEMI-GODS (c) 1980 ''Tactical Studies Rules''
         It seems clear that the number value of the word ''hero'' gets bigger
over time. That shows me a lack of understanding for their own formulas.  It
makes me wonder if they weren't just selling bigger numbers in each subsequent
edition.  I mean, aside from all that artwork.  Here is the same data in graph
form.
         The word value of hero has been under examined.  A hero as defined by
AD&D is a fourth level Fighter.  One should think that it is the use of the
word ''hero'' that leads to the idea of ''henchmen'' as a game mechanic.  Any
AD&D character can have charisma.  And Charisma brings followers.
         Charisma, also doesn't usually increase without the use of wishes.  I
find this strange.  The people at TSR seem to have missed the point. I should
think that Charisma, or number of followers, is what would make a ''hero.''.
In AD&D terms. This would make more sense to me than inflated numbers over
time.
         TFT specifically lists Charisma(cost 2) and New Followers(cost 2) as
two separate talents. Neither one is listed as an attribute like in D&D. Also
Charisma is listed as a prerequisite of New Followers. I take this to be
intentional on Steve Jackson''s part. To explain in a more logical set of
rules how his system is different from D&D. Steve Jackson's work shows a
greater awareness of word value.
         The word value of ''hero'' in TFT means anything that is not a
Wizard. Even a thief or assassin is a type of hero. A wizard is not. A hero
has to spend four points of IQ if they wish to have followers. A Wizard is
required to spend eight points of IQ if they wish to have followers. This cost
of four points has an interesting, if coincidental, correlation to the four
heavy horse of a CHAINMAIL ''hero.''
         I submit that if TFT had remained a living game it would have gone
through a similar form of unstable word value.  Not intentionally by the
designers of course, but they would be unable to restrain themselves from
adding new talents.  Seeing New Followers, and Monster Followers, they would
do something like add Thief Followers, so one could be GM of their own guild,
and Mercenary Followers for the same reason.  And they would think this to be
adding to the game, when really all it does is make it cost 8 points to start
out as a hero.  Whereas I could do it with 4 before.  Take GURPS for example.
One must have at least 26 points of talents to make a decent hero.
         My conclusion on the word value in D&D, AD&D, and the rest, is that
there is almost none.  A consistent value for a defined word that does not
suffer from dilution over time as revisions and official expansions come out.
Or worse a new class is introduced that completely invalidates the old ones.
Does anyone remember the Archer Ranger' specialty from an issue of Dragon
Magazine.
         In addition, what ever word value CHAINMAIL once had is completely
lost by the time of the Archer Ranger.'  In that sense, TFT has been served
better by being a dead game than a living one. Who knows what would have
happened had TFT gone through multiple editions.  There would probably be
sixteen types of wizards Labs costing at least ten thousand silver each, where
one lab used to get the job done.  Among other atrocities to the system.
         As a parting word, I would like to say strongly that I am all for new
stuff and new ideas, just not where it buries the old ones.  Personally I feel
that game designers do this to their own games out of insecurity.  They fear
that their new material may not be interesting enough to the fan so they over
compensate by pumping it up.  One must have the new Advanced Running' they
say to themselves It adds 6 to movement for only 1 extra point.'  Then later
they say look at how successful my Advanced Running Talent is.  Everyone has
it.'
         I really wish they would grow up and stop doing this to games.  It
has been my experience that one can make an entire series of supplements on
nothing more than details of the Alchemists Lab while leaving the existing
rules unharmed in any way.  And this series will thrive or die based on it's
internal value, or lack there of.  Not because they threw in a bit of rules
inflation so everyone Had' to have it.

        Thank you Howard Thompson and Steve Jackson for getting a divorce at
the exact right moment in history.
        And thank you gentle reader for you time.

    David Michael Grouchy II