Re: (TFT) General Test of ITL Knowledge

Think of what? What do projectile flight velocities have to do with the slinker quiz?

You realize terminal velocity is based not only on the air but the shape, density, spin, and roughness of the object moving through it?

As for Megahex Greenwich: In the major campaign worlds a friend and I made for TFT, we took ITL seriously and used its format of hex map for the campaigns. We noticed that there were orientation and corner issues in order to align the hex sheets consistently, when making a grid of maps to create our world maps. Then, in theory (which was never actually broken down for any practical purpose during play) each 12.5 km hex corresponds to a fixed pattern of metahexes and megamegahexes and finally megahexes and hexes, so that there really is a fixed megahex pattern on the world. Small-scale fixed locations such as a building or labyrinth were mapped out using the hex-to-megahex scale which is described in some detail in ITL. So it wasn't just an arbitrary measurement system.

(To ramble on, even though this is a total tangent on what was just the red herring of this quiz topic...)
As I've written on the list before, when I adapted my TFT campaign to GURPS + house rules, I did address the range/megahex peculiarity in a couple of ways, in favor of detail, sense-making and verisimilitude, as we preferred:

1) Actually an improvement over GURPS using the plain hex grid, I made a ruler to hex scale, which is used to measure ranges for tasks such as determining to-hit penalties for ranged attacks. That avoids the inaccuracy introduced by the plain hex grid, which will also be off (if far enough away in the wrong direction) if you count hexes to determine range.

2) Since my world locations were mapped out using ITL style location hex-to-megahex scale, I drew a large hex grid at megahex scale, so one hex is the size of a megahex, but it's shaped like a hex as on the ITL "labyrinth" location maps. I then made photocopy transparency sheets of this, and also made photocopy transparencies of the usual combat hex grid size (without megahexes, and in GURPS style where you can just see where the hexes are).
   With the large hex grid transparencies, I could easily draw on blank paper combat scale maps of locations mapped in ITL "labyrinth" scale maps, and draw detailed shapes that would be how they really would be instead of conforming to hex sides. Then I could overlay the smaller combat hex transparencies over those sheets, to get a combat map of the ITL-mapped regions, which would look realistic and not necessarily put hexes anyplace (though I did tend to line up walls with the hex grid).

Ok, enough rambling.

--- Jay_Carlisle@charter.net wrote:

I've come to think of it like this.