Re: (TFT) Newb

On Sep 8, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Jay Carlisle wrote:

On Wednesday, September 7, 2011, Joey wrote:
Personally I've never agreed with that sorta evaluation of points... to me
it always seemed inherent in the rules that 30 was pretty much the
theoretical limit of any human and most people never got even close, while 20's were 'heroic' levels, in the sense that if you had an ST of 25 or so,
you could be seen as a 'strength hero' not unlike a Hercules character
(though obviously more 'realistic' in that you're not THAT much greater than everyone else). Most people who are actually heroes (that is, good fighters, stealthy thieves, intelligent traveling wizards, and so on, but not really legends in and of themselves- any legends would have more to do with actions
than abilities) have stats in the high teens, in my view.

The main reason I play it that way is thats just how most campaigns i've
been in framed it, and given that for a lot of stats you start getting
special abilities instead of regular bonuses starting in the high teens, that seems like a good cut off point for being 'expert' but not 'best' at said ability.... however, games that work your way also make sense for me, i
just think its harder to justify within TFT rules....

Okkkkay...
Not sure we're disagreeing here...
Uhhh, what's the difference between "professional modern athlete" and
"hero"?
I think that's where any difference between out opinions lie, besides an
overall preference for the "power level" on the game.
If I tell a player that they get to run Andre Peterson in a football sim
they expect big stats.
I'd reckon the same if I promised Conan.
The best of the best probably do top out in the 30's for a stat... at the
peak of their game.
The way I've set it up, it takes a crazy lot of downtime "practice and
training" to keep up a stat in the 20ish level.
Figures trying to maintain 60ish points really don't have time for random
adventuring as their schedule is too full.
Ergo, I don't worry too much about mega-stat player Figures because I've got them locked down enough on their maintinance to keep them from getting too
froggy.
The "Darklord" always comes at the players weaknesses... slay one version and there's always another out there in the shadows of players thinking...
<strokes beard in an evil manner>
NPC control is much too much already for GM's... no reason to make it up as
you go as well...
Just tell me your story and let me use my wrist for more important (too me) matters than throwing dice your gonna read as you want anyway pretty much
reguardless of what I throw.
If a player can't "beat" the GM on occasion then why play with dice and
player choice?
Even in TFT once the "Lab" was set up then the albeit loose rules went into
effect and the GM works with the resources given him.
Can the dungeon muster as a Unit like a Vet's Hold or similar military
structure?
Why is the Dungeon there at all?
Ack!
I've drifted a bit in my thought.
Back to the main point.
In an openly "framed" world I don't see how you limit players stats to the
"teens" over time.
Even in Melee eventually SOMEBODY'S gonna get lucky and have an outstanding
run that's gonna equate to quite a few character points.
The first couple of Ultimas were a bit like that too.
Once you made a few levels it became hard to die if one were prudent, but
those first few levels were something of a crap-shoot.
Yes, you can make it a tough environment but sometimes players will survive
if handled with the tools given in design.
Deny the gladiator any attempt to escape, no matter how small the chance,
and it becomes less an RPG and more a board-type game.
I'm not yelling about that, just saying that a full-blown RPG doesn't have
"map-edges".
Or Stat limits so to speak.

I wouldn't say we disagree, per se, I think its more a matter of frame of reference. As you said, in a football sim game, if you're playing Adrian Peterson, you're going to have some of the highest stats possible... similarly, if you're playing at the top level of a mythological RPG, a Hercules character, then you're going to expect similar stats.

But I think the real question is "do those two translate to being equivalent, if they somehow met?" Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't really matter. If it makes a nice analogy, its perfectly reasonable to say that Adrian Peterson would have those same stats if he was sent through the timey wimey ball to my RPG universe.... and he'd be a BA adventurer. But its equally 'true,' in an arbitrary way, to say he'd have stats more like 20-25, or even less (though I'd say if you're going at less than 18 you're going too low).

The rest can be explained by your preference for 'heroic fantasy' in the sense that the characters tend to be some of the best at what they do, while I tend to play games where the characters at least start out barely better than anyone else around.