Re: (TFT) How good is 32 points?

GRIPES Generic Role-playing Independent Player Environments System

The independent player environment bit has to do with "At our advanced
ages, we dont have time to sit around through first level characters in a
long term campaign any more. we have done this SO many times in the last 30
years that it has lost its punch."

Yeah.
Not to mention the book keeping.
So I've been making players responsible for running their own locations.
You build it, you GM it.
As I recall in AD&D once players got to a certain point there were
requirements to advance to the next level.
I'm thinking where fighters had to build a stronghold, thieves a hideout,
wizards a tower, and etc.
I've found it expedient to "start" Figure near a "border town".
>From a Civ standpoint they have few if any improvements and are the most
exposed to attack.
If a player want's it they pretty much have to build it for themselves.
Of course, I don't force them to hang around if they want to strike off for
capital city and try their luck there but the power structure there is
large and well established.
(I use Illuminati principals for laying out power structures and generally
use a cities population number as a guide to power structure size)

"In official rules, 9d6 basically never comes up. Maybe as a ridiculously
hard lock to pick, in which case it makes sense that even the best of the
best will struggle to pick it."

9d6 is listed on the "official" GM Screen, but its under Saves so your
point still stands...

"3d6 comes up all the time. It is the baseline for hitting an opponent in
combat. It is the standard for disbelieving illusions. One can look at
higher d6 tests but to try to call 9d6 normal so that stat 30 characters
have a challenge is a stretch without modifying the basic rules, like
combat."

I call 3d6 a normal effort.
I let players spend fST to expend more effort.
A high die check that succeeds always beats a lower die succeeding check.
Masters can use extra dice they threw to "cover", or replace, dice of
opponents.
And of course 9d6 could be three 3d6 checks...

1 ST = 5.5 pounds moved 1 foot per second
5.5 pounds per point of ST works out very close to TFT's encumbrance, lift,
shift data which is pretty close to Guinness data.
100 ST is 1 horsepower viewed this way and 1 fps is ~two-thirds of a mile
per hour.
So at about 100hp a Tercel is about 1kST.
I know about 50 pound rucksacks from personal experience and I've noticed
lots of agriculture is in that ballpark, bushel of wheat 60lbs, bushel of
corn 56lbs, etc. and also harvesting rates like 55lbs of mushrooms picked
per hour.
The idea is fatigue ST can be expended to produce damage ST that can be
resisted by passive ST which is carried by fatigue ST.