Re: (TFT) Nasty Hobbitses

> Right, my point is that SOMETHING is going on that is inaccurate.

If there's an inaccuracy, it's probably that 1D6-2 is too much damage for
a single star.

> One should not be able to throw 12 dice of damage (approximately) in
> one turn in the form of shaken, and certainly not with any amount of
> accuracy.

Your approximation is incorrect.

As I recall, there are DX penalties for throwing multiples in one turn
(someone will look up the rules, I'm here at work). And since it's not
like a bow's high-DX second shot, there's only a single target.

But as has been seen many times, high DX is a killer no matter how you
slice it.

As far as damage, 1D6-2 is an average damage of 1.66. That's an average of
20 points, if you hit with them all. Still less than 6D6, by a bit (isn't
that how much some firearms do, or is it a lance?). Max would be 48 (not
counting doubles and triples),minimum 0. And against leather armour, the
average is 6 points of damage taken, which is less than an average
broadsword shot to an unarmoured person. These numbers all assume that
every star hits for normal damage, which isn't necessarily the case.

12d6 is an average of 42, so your assertion that 12 stars approximate 12D6
is off by a factor of 2.

The hobbit, with his +1 damage, has an average of 2.5 per star, or 30
points, if he hits wil them all (unless you're one of those weirdos who
applys the +1 in a manner where the minimum damage for 1D6-2+1 is 1, but
only weirdos do that).

So let's take that DX 16 hobbit, and see how it plays out. At the closest
possible range.
That's 1DX right there, because the range is 1. It's sticking in my head
that 12 at once is a -6, so his adjDX is 9. Less than half are going to
hit. Sure, the others keep going, but range quickly makes them useless.
And it gets worse the further away he stands.

> One must realize that actually one can do many things in 5 seconds
> that TFT would require to take longer (or only allows you to do once
> in those five seconds). So really its just poorly written rules with
> regards to throwing stars.

The converse is true, too.

Incidentally, I can throw 12 stars in 1 throw. It's actually rather easy.
(Got mine out last night to see how it would work). But I must not have
the Thrown Weapons talent, because I'm pretty sure I can't ready and throw
in the same turn.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com