Re: (TFT) How good is 32 points?

Yeah, I've had to resort to very specific one-off scenarios if I want to
playtest.

As for experience, I think that has a lot to do with how the gameworld was
setup to begin with.
TFT came along during the D&D boom.
D&D had its roots in miniature wargaming and a whole bunch of folks were
picking up D&D without any idea of what a wargame was at all much less a
miniature wargame.
I'll dig for the text I'm recalling later to make sure I'm recalling
correctly but I'm reasonably sure that one of the stated purposes of Melee
was a combat system that could be applied to D&D to replace the boatload of
house rules being used.
Just because someone asked you to play D&D didn't mean you had much idea of
what kind of game you'd actually sit down too.
In other words, TFT fixed the combat system of D&D which was already a game
that took miniatures wargaming and focused down to an individual on a
"battlefield".
It's sooooo combat heavy that it actually allows some ballpark
guesstimations possible I think.
The bottom up approach is the 'Monster Manual' thing where x number of
encounters with y "monster/s" adds up to z levels.
This is related to the method Cartman used in WoW to level up by slaying
Boars for a very long period of playtime in a low-level area.
>From the top down a Population has a Joe Average.
With Joe Average at 30 pts distributed 10,10,10 then Joe's worth 20 exp.
So something like 75 Joes gets you to 40 pts.
Roughly 300 Population to contain 75 Joes as a rule of thumb or 1500 pts.
Of course the "Government Issue Joe" (G.I. Joe) viewpoint is... a bit soul
chilling when taken to what would be logical conclusions if issues of
humanity (and whatever else 42 answers) weren't involved.
Wipe out a small hamlet, get 8 attribute points.
Saw something the other day about the Aztec empire reaching a Population of
about fifteen million at their height meaning something like three and
three quarters million adult males or seventy five million experience in
the "empire".
I suppose if one wanted to go all Old Testament on it and try and milk
every last point then I guess you'd have to set experience for the women,
children, old, and disabled.

I let players buy a Talent again as an Expert or Master (both for x3).
Experts get benefits in research and teaching while Masters get bene's in
the performance and maintenance of the Talent.

I'd probably give a Figure a pretty large penalty for using a Talent while
under the required IQ.
(Which is why I use IQ for fear effects when in the Lovecraft vein, check
vs. IQ or take a fIQ loss like a wizards fST)