(TFT) TFT: FMG

Justin writes . . .

>Dave, How do you accumulate minuses to DX for damage/fatigue taken?

   We use the REACTIONS TO INJURY rule -- straight out of /Advanced Melee/,
p. 18.
   As a GM I've found keeping track of NPC injuries and reactions to them a
substantial part of record keeping during combat.  I keep track of all this
info in Excel on my notebook computer.  Some adventures have dozens of
individual NPCs/monsters to track, such as Tollenkar's Lair, or Bob Hensle's
Bughouse in Interplay #6, and having a notebook at hand really helps speed
play and keep it all straight.

Michael writes . . .

>First, while I can't say I'm a fan of Howard's, I do think he might have
>contributed more than we've ever known about. Several people who knew him=
>have said good things about him and he IS the designer of WarpWar -
>possible the great space combat system ever devised. =

   Here, here!  Warpwar /is/ a really nice little game.  I ran an eight
person tournament on the last day that Hexworld was open.  I have a copy I
play with, plus a mint copy I've got archived away (along with a Deluxe
Illuminati and a Star Traders both still in the shrink-wrap).

>I love these spells and talents - when are they going to be be collected
>and put on the web-site? 'D

   I'm a bit ashamed to say that I really don't know how to create a web
page, but I /do/ know TRS-80 BASIC.  Am I still computer literate?  8^)
   Perhaps Ty Beard could add our genius to his TFT site.

>I've always loved the idea of "cantrips", that is, low-
>level spells that perform only minor effects. In all my
>fantasy games these are the *primary* form's of
>magic. I treat them as 1/4-pt spells - that is, for 1
>Talent Point a wizard can have 4 of them (a hero
>can have 1 for IQ Talent Point).

   Yes, cantrips were a nice addition to D&D.  I'd be interesting in looking
at your collection.

   Were any of you members of Metagaming's Fantasy Masters Guild?  As a
subscriber to Interplay I automatically got their newsletter as well.  I
don't think much ever came of this little project of Howard's.

   Here's some new bows to play with.  My campaign is set on a continent
with late medieval technology, where many clever ideas we know today just
happen to be known of there -- sun-mirror signal towers for long-distance
communications, catamaran sailboats, efficient irrigation methods, etc.
Compound bows have just been developed.  Expensive, heavy, and deadly.

BOWS                    Damage   ST   Cost  Weight   Notes
Hobbit?s Compound Bow   1        6    90    1.7      2 shots if adjDX = 14+
Goblin?s Compound Bow   1+1      8    120   2.3      2 shots if adjDX = 16+
Light Compound Bow      1+2      9    140   2.5      2 shots if adjDX = 17+
Compound Bow            2-1      11   170   3.1      2 shots if adjDX = 19+
Heavy Compound Bow      2        13   200   3.7      2 shots if adjDX = 21+
Medium Crossbow         2+2      14   65    4        Fires every other turn;
                                                      every turn if adjDX
17+
   (As usual, this looks better in a fixed space font.)

   The LCB is just right for the average Elf, the CB for humans, and the
Heavy CB for a Dwarf's strength.

   I also came up with this rule addition.  One of the characters, Humar,
had a +2 DX magic longbow specially made . . .  and it broke on the very
next adventure when he rolled an 18!  That gave me the idea for . . .

Fine Bows
   Fine and very fine /bows/ can be made.  Unlike melee
weapons they aren?t any more deadly, but they /are/
harder to break, and a bow can also be given +1 DX
for the standard cost.  /Bowstrings/ are not made fine or
very fine ? just the bow proper.  See  p. AM22.

   And speaking of bowstrings . . .

Bows
   A roll of 17 when firing a bow or crossbow means a
broken bowstring ? /not/ a dropped bow ? and the
bow cannot be fired again until it is /restrung/.  This
takes three turns for a standard bow or a full minute
for a compound bow or crossbow ? not usually
something you?d want to do during a fight.  A magic
bow does not lose its magic when its bowstring
breaks; the magic is in the bow proper.  Bowstrings
are effectively free ? a few extras of the right size
come with every bow.

Dave Seagraves
Seagraves Computers   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 255-2760