Re: (TFT) Encumbrance and weight

Daniel Tulloh wrote:
>> I like the idea of stuff in the pack seeming to weigh less.
>
> Perhaps Stan alluded this earlier, I dunno (i accidentally nuked
> his quote), but it seems to me that stuff in the pack is more
> like 'dead' weight but things which are worn have a different
> feel because the distribution of the weight is different.

My quote was just that there is a game which has items in backpacks
weigh half their normal encumberance value.  If you consider that
the listed enc values assume you're actually carrying the stuff
in your hands, such a reduction seems pretty reasonable to me.

I would certainly agree that a similar reduction is in order for
armor, and perhaps more so for plate than for chain.  (With chain
almost all the weight falls on one's shoulders; plate is more
distributed.)

> I think I recall reading somewhere that knights in full plate
> had to be put on horseback by a crane - they were *that* heavy!

My understanding is that armor that heavy was pretty much only used
for jousting.

> Yet they could walk around, fight, etc (just not for long periods
> of time.)  Unwieldiness aside, a person of ST 12 could probably
> walk around in a suit of armor ok but probably would not have
> the ST needed to pick it up and carry it home.
>
> A better representation of armor would probably have to include
> the fatigue factor in some way - [snip exhaustion effects proposal]
>
> Does this idea make sense to anyone?

Sure, so long as you actually assess fST costs for melee combat,
charging, etc., and not just for spellcasting.