Re: [Re: (TFT) Preliminary thoughts:Adapting Runequest]

>I don't know if any of you out there encountered this but my problem when
was gamemastering TFT was I couldn't entice AD&D players to join because
they
thought TFT characters were too weak in the sense that one good blow could
kill you -- unlike D&D where characters swagger around with scads of
hitpoints. One quick fix we tried was to multiply the ST by 5, but this
caused
problems in terms of magic use. At the very least it complicated accounting
in
what was supposed to be an elegant game system. Thoughts?<

Well, this may surprise some of you, but I have a pretty harsh take on
this. ;}

Basically, they are right. TFT character's ARE weaker and CAN be killed
pretty easily.

There are two kinds of RPG'ers in the world, those who find being being as
strong as you are in AD&D boring and uninvolving and those who dont. Those
who don't play AD&D.

The rest play all the other games - including TFT. I'm not knocking AD&D
players, if that's the way they have fun, then they're hobby isn't any less
weird than mine. But it's not something I find fun.

I've never seen AD&D players 'cross-over' to role-playing. That doesn't
mean that it doesnt happen - its just that I've never personally seen it.

You just might have to find different players. If being stronger in combat
is that important to them, it's unlikely they will ever get past the "meet
things-kill them-then take their money" phase..

Michael