(TFT) TFT: Gazetteer

Rick writes . . .

>I don't mean to rain on people's campaigns but I
>think that arguing that rule X by Karen is 'official'
>and rule Y by Jennifer is 'not up to snuff' will
>just cause divisiveness for no benifit.

   I agree.  Some of the alternate rules I see here I like; some I don't.  I
don't attack the people who post rules I don't like (those bastards! 8^) but
only attack the bad rules themselves, and even then it's only my opinion and
not necessarily my campaign.
   I believe the ideal solution is to have a collection of optional rules
for TFT as a gazeteer on the web.  ALL optional rules should be included,
even if the webmaster doesn't personally like some of them.  Rules which do
the same or nearly same thing (such as my adjIQ rule and Rick's IQ
superscripts rule) can and should be grouped together for ease of choice.
/Nothing/ is official.  Instead, each GM chooses what rules are right for
his own campaign.
   Actually, let me ammend that a bit: Submissions to the web site really
should be seconded by another person on the list before they go onto the
site to avoid frivilous material.  If at least two people think it has merit
then it must have some value (and if only one person out of the hundred or
so on the list likes it then it must not be worth including).  If desired
the seconder and/or webmaster can edit the submission to make it clearer to
understand.  The edited version should be run by the author again to make
sure no meaning or nuances are lost.
   (Just to get the ball rolling, I second Rick's superscript rules.  Not
exactly my bag, but it's at least worth the hard drive space to store them.
The same goes for the Griefs; I liked them, and I think my players did too.)
   As I mentioned here months ago, optional rules which make good "plug-ins"
to the basic TFT rules are ideal for putting on this theoretical web site.
   All submissions should be credited and show the original author of the
item, even if no explicit copyright notice is given.  When material is
submitted on the list the submitter should say something like "For posting
in the Gazeteer" (or whatever), which ought to be good enough for his tacit
permission for his work to be included; copyright or no.
   The person who makes the rules is the webmaster -- it's ultimately his
web page after all.
   Just my opinion and two cents worth.  8^)

   Here's another talent (permission granted for gazeteer blah blah blah . .
.):

IQ 16 TALENTS
EFFICIENCY (3): Prerequisite: You must be a wizard.
   A wizard with this magical talent uses one less
   ST point for every spell he casts, and also uses
   1 less ST point every turn he maintains a spell --
   but with a minimum of 1 ST in each case.  The
   wizard must also /know/ the spell to take advantage
   of Efficiency -- the talent doesn't help with
   enchanted items.  It also doesn't help with long-
   term spell casting like creating magic items.
      Examples: A wizard with Efficiency casting
   Summon Dragon would spend only 4 ST to cast it,
   and only 1 ST to maintain (instead of 5/2 ST); a
   wizard casting Summon Wolf would not gain any
   benefit, since that spell is already 1 ST to cast
   and 1 to maintain; a 3-die missile spell would
   only take 2 ST to throw, etc.  [Dave Seagraves]

Dave Seagraves
Seagraves Computers   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 255-2760
Taco Bell: Over 60 billion lied to and cheated.