(TFT) Re: Counting backwards

From: "grabowski" <grabowski@erols.com>
> Why do we do this then?  Wishful thinking?  Does anything we do really
> matter???  What is the meaning of life????   Those of you out there when
> did you start playing TFT or Melee/Wizard and what age are you all???
>
> I bought Melee/Wizard in the Gallery Mall in Philly in I believe 1977/78
> and TFT:ITL when it came out in 1979 and played it from 79 - 84.  As of
> right now I'm 41 years and counting.

Very similar to me.

I bought Melee and Wizard as soon as they hit the shelves. It was great to
have a little simple man-to-man tactical combat in a fantasy setting. Wizard
was especially my favorite. I bought TFT at GenCon for the $10 deal where
you also got a nifty t-shirt that said "Do It In the Labyrinth". By then I was in
college. My one and only AD&D experience (of more than just figuring out
the rules of original D&D by playing an adventure) was for 2 months with an
outstanding GM named Bill Seurer. He then switched to TFT and I played
twice a week for about 2.5 years. Some of the best gaming I've ever had.

I got my other gaming group to play TFT, but that only lasted about 3
months. They didn't like the system as much as I (they were hardcore C&S
players).

When GURPS came out, I loved the similarity to TFT, but a lot of the
simplicity and elegance was gone. But since it was active - and universal - I
was hooked. But by then I was married, and then came children, and I no
longer had time to play, so I got my gaming fix by being addicted to the
Illuminati BBS and writing for GURPS. I still have a very good relationship
with SJ, and continue to write, playtest and run games at cons for SJGames.

But my love is TFT (among other things). I am since divorced, and have a
little more time for gaming, but I haven't put together a TFT game yet. I plan
on it. Right now, I'm getting my TFT fix in a little GrailQuest gamebox PBEM
with Joe Hartley. It's the most significant gaming I've done in 14 years, and
boy is it fun.

Demographics: I'm a 40 year old divorced dad of 2 (Orion is 11 and Karina is
6). I live in Minneapolis, so if any of you Twin Citians want to play TFT, email
me. I just switched jobs after 8 years as a software consultant in C++. Now
I'm in a small startup company developing Java applications (not applets).
I'm a bit of a weirdo (I game after all): I'm a pagan priest as well. And a
landlord (I own and live in a duplex).

---
Brett Slocum  --  slocum@skypoint.com  --  ICQ #13032903
Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
"Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader