Re: (TFT) TFT: Middle Earth

ed <hurcheon@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:
> > Yup.  It's possible to capture the feel of
> > Middle-Earth without using a
> > single Tolkien reference - just ask Terry Brooks!
> > The adventure should stand
> > on its own, whether you use Gandalf and Sauron or
> > Frux and G'zuntite.
>
> Whilst it might be possible to do so, I wouldn't quote
> the execrable work of Mr. Brooks as an example

I don't like his books either.  I read the first 2 or 3
years ago, and never bothered after that.  He's got a ton
of 'em now, I hear.

Whether he does it well or poorly, though, he has definitely
attempted to invoke the feel of Middle-Earth in Shanana, or
whatever it's called :)

For the reader with no bent towards fantasy (like my Mom),
both LotR and a Shanana book would get the same reaction.
And that's my point - a good adventure would work in either
realm without actually needing the same characters or locations.

The original poster (Dave?  I'm too lazy to hit the archives!)
mentioned that the adventure went from the LotR to an unknown
band of halflings and a wizard in search of a magic sword.  IMO,
this could be more interesting than a LotR "walkthrough."  Even if
we had the rights, why have the characters relive previous deeds?

I think it's more interesting to have a scenario where Gandalf
would appear at Bag End once again with a new task to be
undertaken.  This opens the door to new puzzles and adversaries.
If I were playing a game and my Hobbit came upon a creature asking
riddles and I already knew them from the book, it wouldn't be much
of a puzzle.  If, however, I came upon a gate being guarded by a
Wizard's minion, (thanx to Guy for the scenario!), I have a decision
to make that's not based on the book, so I can't go to the book for
clues as to the answer.