Re: (TFT) trap-ridden dungeon

From: "Brennan O'Brien" <veilheim@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) trap-ridden dungeon

For what it's worth...

A few weeks ago, I started driving my players mad
using trap triggers with no associated traps.  Mostly
it gets them worried about what they don't know.

What you don't know can hurt you, and it scares you
when you don't know what you don't know...

Brennan

    I had one trap that was just a rope hanging from
the ceiling with a note on it that said "do not pull".
All the monsters in the dungeon understood this and
never pulled on it.  Every party of adventurers pulled
it, and were dropped into a spiked pit.
    It never failed.  I think I used it on about eight
different groups of adventurers.  Without exception, they
always pulled the rope.
    Not having a trap behind a trigger would take my
players longer to disarm than a full trap.  They would
keep trying to trip it with no noticable results.  That
gives me an idea.
    How about a trap of silent, invisible spears that
stab and retract back into the walls.  The trigger would
never seem to do anything, but anyone who tripped it
accidentaly would have wounds appear on them.  It would
take, say, 6 dice to detect, but 12 dice to disarm.
Unless you had mage sight, then only 6 dice to disarm.
If they actually do disarm it, the spears would be
very expensive treasure, a magical curiosity of marginal
usefullness.  This gives me another idea.
    Three mounted men with cavalry lances.  and invisi-
bility potion for each and his horse, and a silent move-
ment for each.  It would be cheeper, and the charge
attack would be devastating.  "Roll 6 dice vs your IQ to
notice a dust cloud coming your way..."

    David Michael Grouchy II