(TFT) TFT: One-Post Digests Again

   Hey Joe.  Digest #3 was a short one (only two posts within) and now we're
back to one post per digest.  They started showing up tonight.
   Another thing . . .  as far as I can tell the post pasted below never
showed up on any digest at all.  Based on the date (04 June) it should have
showed up on V2 #2, but it's not there nor in any digest after it.
(Normally I wouldn't have noticed this, but I sometimes check the archives
to see what the latest posts are before the digest comes out.)  There might
be other posts missing in other past digests, but I haven't verified beyond
this one.

>From: "Dave Seagraves" <dseagraves@austin.rr.com>
>Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 20:23:15 -0500
>
>Dan writes . . .
>
> >Another thing you might try is forcing non-Guild members
> >to go through the spell-research process each time they
> >want to learn a new spell.
>
>    Yuck!  That is very time consuming and expensive just
>to learn a spell that already exists, even after first
>watching someone else cast it and then reverse-engineering
>it.  Time to join the Wizards' Guild.

     All Dan had to do was say "forcing non-Guild members" and a red flag
went up.

>    So in this case the Guild has a monopoly on teaching
>new spells to others?  I take it a non-Guild wizard /could/
>teach a student a spell (using the normal rules on AW10)
>but not /legally/, right?  If so, the huge cost difference
>between learning and half-researching a spell would create
>an instant black market in spell tutoring and spellbooks.
>    So before no characters ever joined the Wizard's Guild.
>Now we have /all/ experienced wizards joining in order to
>keep up as they gain experience.  Actually it's even worse.
>Consider the same wizard in your example who wants to learn
>Reverse Missiles.  The most efficient way to do this is:
>
>   1. Join the Guild.
>   2. Use option 2 or 3 (in LEARNING NEW SPELLS) to learn
>      the spell.  Since he may do nothing else during this
>      time, he has no income.  Since he has no income, his
>      dues are nothing (see ITL29).
>   3. After learning the spell, quit the Guild.  The wizard
>      has just learned a spell without paying the Guild a
>      dime (except perhaps indirectly through the
>      /instructor's/ dues).
>
>    So the only way this would be meaningful (other that
>role-playing considerations) is the existence of a law (or
>some other requirement) that forces practicing wizards to
>be members of the Guild.
>    I admit that what you propose is somewhat interesting,
>but does this really add anything to a campaign?  I imagine
>this would just be annoying to players who play wizards.
>To me the added complication is not worth it, either as a
>player or GM.

     I ask anyone.  Has there ever been a GM who penalized a player for
leaving the Guild.  Wouldn't they just assume they had gone on an adventure
and maybe hadn't come back.  In my campaign things were always so intensely
desperate that defacto approval from the wizards' Guild was implied.  If any
wizard character actually survived with money and in some civilized place
with a guild hall, they would immediately be welcomed, and free to spend as
much as they wished.  On the other hand, if one wishes to sell something to
the guild hall, then they have to join the guild and pay dues, and even then
they will only get half value of the Items.
    A Scenario:  Bring some magic sword in to be analyzed.  The spell works
and the mages face lights up.  He looks you right in the eye and says "ever
thought of joining the wizards guild?"  To me this raises the question of
warriors paying dues to the wizards guild.

> >>   Of course this could be extended to apply to all
> >>other types of guild memberships.  Now characters would
> >>have a decent reason to join a guild.
> >
> >Except perhaps some kind of warriors guild.  There are
> >two ways of acquiring talent with a blade: a) lots of
> >practice (drilling) or b) actual combat. Warriors joining
> >a guild (or army) may get some ability to learn combat
> >skills in a non-lethal environment.
>
>    So how would this keep warriors from learning weapon talents faster
>because of Warriors' Guild membership?
>Wouldn't help and advice from seasoned veterans at the
>Guildhall be just as good as the same from experienced
>wizards at the Wizards' Guildhall?
>
>Dave Seagraves

    Well, I have to ask where Dan read that warriors could get experience by
practice?  But aside from that, I would like to publish for the first time
the only classified document that I ever had for the wizards' guild.  It
shows how many apprentices on average are required to make the magic items.
Number of Apprentices is calculated at 25 ST a day as per AW page 30 minus
the 25 ST of the wizard.

               David Michael Grouchy II

Wiz apprentices Spell                 ST a day
1       0      Slow Movement            15
1       0      Drop Weapon              20
1       0      Light                    10
1       0      Avert                    25
1       0      Darkness(1 hex)          20
1       0      Dark Vision              25
1       0      Lock                     15
1       0      Knock                    15
1       0      Trip                     20
1       0      Speed Movement           25
1       0      Dazzle Gem               10
1       0      Silent Movement          25
1       0      Slippery or Sticky Floor 20
1       0      Curse(-1 to all rolls)   25
1       0      Fireproofing             25
1       0      Fresh Air                25
1       0      Gems: Summon Wolf        25
1       0      Gems: Summon Myrmidon    25
1       0      Gems: Summon Bear        25
1       0      Gems: Summon Gargoyle    25
1       0      Quiver of Replenishment  20
1       0      Amulet vs. Disease       25
1       0      Maintain Image           20
1       0      Ring(etc.) of Control    25
1       0      Restringing broken Torc  20
1       0      Limiting Spell           25
1       0      Staff Of Power
1       0      Proxy                    25
1       1      Detect Life              50
1       1      Detect Enemies           50
1       1      Rope                     50
1       1      Eyes-Behind              50
1       1      Word of Command          50
1       1      Flaming Weapon           50
1       1      St battery(1 point)      40
1       1      St battery(5 points)     50
1       2      Blur                     75
1       2      Clumsiness(-1)           70
1       2      Confusion(-1)            70
1       2      Weakness(-1)             70
1       2      Far Vision               70
1       2      Gems: Summon Giant       75
1       2      Gems:Summon Small Dragon 75
1       2      Maintain Illusion        75
1       2      2-Hex Magic Carpet       75
1       2      Hammertouch              75
1       2      Little Death             75
1       2      Increase one Attrib(+1)  75
1       2      Gate Lock                75
1       2      Hand of Glory            75
1       2      Weapon/Armor enchantment 75
1       2      Unicorn Horn             75
2       2      Flaming missile weapon
1       2      Serpent Torc             75
1       2      Cleansing                75
1       3      Freeze                  100
1       3      Invisibility            100
1       3      Telepathy               100
1       3      Geas                    100
1       3      Amulet of Skepticism    100
1       3      Zombie Ring             100
1       3      Detect Magic            100
1       4      Shock Shield            125
1       4      Sleep                   125
1       4      Magic Rainstorm         125
1       4      Flight                  125
1       4      Telekinesis             120
1       4      Amulet vs. creature     125
1       4      Amulet vs. 1 elemental  125
1       4      1-Hex Pentigram         125
2       4      4-Hex Magic Carpet
1       4      Expunge                 125
1       4      Long-Distance Telepathy 125
1       4      Insustantiality         125
1       4      Spellsniffer            125
1       5      Quiver of Replenishment
                  With silver arrow     150
1       5      Quiver of Replenishment
                  With silver arrow
                  and DX+1              150
1       5      Amulet vs. Drunkenness  150
1       6      Shadow                  175
1       6      Reverse Missiles        175
1       6      Persuasiveness          175
1       6      Stone Flesh             175
1       6      Dispel Illusions        175
1       6      Glamor                  160
1       6      Astral Projection       175
1       6      Amulet vs. all elementals 175
1       6      Shapeshifting           175
1       6      Crystal Ball            175
1       6      Gate Key                170
1       7      Fireball                200
1       7      Mage Sight              200
1       7      Gems:Summon 7hex Dragon 200
1       7      Unnoticeability         200
1       7      Bound Small Demon       200
1       7      Lense of translation for
                 each original language 200
1       8      Amulet vs. Drowning     210
1       8      Spell Sheild            225
1       8      Charm(+2)               225
1       8      Magic Fist rod(1 point) 225
1       8      Fireball rod(1 point)   225
1       9      Iron Flesh              250
1       9      Wards                   250
1       9      Charm(+1)               245
1       9      Lighning-bolt rod(1 pt) 250
1       9      Magic Fist              235
1      10      Destroy Illusion        270
5      10      7-Hex Magic Carpet
1      10      Giant Rope              275
1      13      Lense of translation
                 Add 1 language         350
1      14      Lightning               375
1      14      Wizard's Wrath          375
1      15      Teleport                400
1      17      Wizard's Wrath rod(1pt) 450
1      19      Long-Distance Teleport  500

Dave Seagraves
Seagraves Mutual Fund   dseagraves@austin.rr.com   1 (512) 255-2760
Current fund value: $1.92 per share.