From: srydzews@ix.netcom.com
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: (TFT) apprentices
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 14:08:14 -0400

  Recent discussions about the guild got me to thinking about those
pesty apprentices.  What is known about these guys?  They get paid/
cost $30 a week and can be counted on for 25 ST a day.  There is
supposed to be some obligation on the part of the employing wizard
to train them, but as far as I know the exact amount of time that
needs to be devoted to this training is never specified.  Any
thoughts?
  AW never goes into any detail about exactly apprentices do for you.
I mean, yeah, they cast Aid spells and give you ST.  If that's all
there is to it, though, then why not hire "Aid Spell day laborers"?
Any clod with IQ9 could learn the Aid spell, and if he had a DX of
12+ he could cast it about as reliably as a typical apprentice. I'd
much rather pay such guys $30 a week than have a bunch of apprentices
hanging around, whining about wanting training and practicing one-hex
fire in my basement.
  And if I were some sort of day-laborer type I'd jump at the chance
to do this kind of work instead of digging coal (or whatever) all
day.  $30 is decent pay for semi-skilled work, too!

Stan Rydzewski