(TFT) Re: Forgetting, take two

I wrote:
>> Really, though, the forgetting process that goes on as
>> people learn new skills occurs naturally and gradually.
>
>to which Dan Tulloh wrote:
>Agreed, but how do you make this playable without creating
>a lot of bookkeeping for the player?

I think there's some misunderstanding about what I meant.
I wasn't questioning the idea of losing a talent in order
to learn a new one.  All I was questioning is the following
ITL rule:

"FORGETTING OLD SPELLS (AND TALENTS) [second paragraph]
 You can also forget a spell, talent or language in a more
 conventional way - by not using it. If you wish to forget
 one in this manner, inform the GM of your decision to do
 so. Mark a line through that talent (or whatever) on the
 character record sheet, along with the date (in game terms).
 If you can avoid using it for a year, you will have
 forgotten it - you can erase it and use that IQ for
 something else."

So it takes you a year longer to learn a talent once you've
"filled up" your IQ.  I think any forgetting required should
occur automatically as part of learning the a talent.  When
you've learned the new one, you mark off (forget) an old one.
That's all.  No bookeeping whatsoever, certainly not the
notations that would be required by the ITL rule quoted above.
 "I, Sven Scarlock, hereby announce that I, on this day, the
eleventh of Harvestmonth in the year 1201, have begun to
forget the talent of animal trainer, renouncing its practice
henceforth."