(TFT) Re: Charge and this and that

> From: "Cas Liber" <casliber@ozemail.com.au>
> Subject: (TFT) embellishing shadowights

Will these monsters make it into the central monsters list that's be
worked on? They seem very nice, in a wightish sort of way ;)

> From: "John Paul Bakshoian" <hailmelee@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: (TFT) Cavalry Charge Proposal
>
> I would allow that the horses are used to war.  Only the single Warhorse in
> test #2 is war trained.  Just wanted to see what a warhorse could do.  I
> will let the Cavalry unit decide what armor if any it is barding its horse
> with.

Most fair...

> Its up to the players to determine how they want to come up with attributes.
>   But I would suggest the Cavalry look at getting Horseman or Expert
> horseman talents.  I am also assuming that these are humans.  It would be
> quite bizarre if the Troopers were hobbits or lizardmen.

Let's stick with humans for now.

> All characters and horses come into this skirmish refreshed, not having
> forced marched or battled today.  All armor and weapons are normal, not
> inferior or fine.

No problem
> I guess I would exclude from this test gas and gunpowder bombs, molotails,
> gunpowder weapons and missile weapons.  Also, no traps or stakes in the
> ground.

No pilums or javelins then ;) Probably OK.

> From: Tim Allan <allantj@xtra.co.nz>
> Subject: (TFT) Re Cavalry Charge Proposal
>
> Greetings to the list, I'm Tim, I live in New Zealand.
>
> With reguard to the cavalry charge proposal, the statement, by John
> Paul,  that the cavalry is more elite, may well have been true of their
> social status, but physicaly and mentaly they would most likely have
> been pretty much identical to the infantry. Men entered the ranks of the
> chevalry more due to their social connections than thier ability.

In most periods they were far more highly trained than the infantry,
better fed as children than the PBI and had better equipment, other than
that they were equal ;) The socially connected but physically inept went
into the church or other fields in many cases.

> Leaving out missile weapons would be very good for the cavalry. The
> French found at Crecy and Agincourt that charging longbow armed infantry
> was not a viable tactic. This also, as an asside, indicates that the
> longbow in given in Melee is somewhat under powered, as munition grade
> longbows of this period, firing bodkin tip arrows, were capible of
> penetrating even the thickest parts of the french knights plate armour.

On the average, British yeomanry of the period are well fed and highly
trained and of a higher social class than most French peasants. Its the
advantage of coming from a country were the King and his buddies don't
quite have the upper hand. The later laws that curtailed this class I'm
sure were partially enacted out of fear of the lower classes kicking out
thier betters.

As for missle weapons, true, most unfair to the cavalry.

> From: Thorn <edt@dopey.ne.mediaone.net>
> Subject: Re: (TFT) Cavalry Charge Proposal
>
> 'Captain' Thorn of Edt here, I'm up for this.  'Sir' Dominic and and I
> will be working together this weekend, we're local and so could do this
> FTF some time.  If the list wants to follow, it could be done with
> GameBox.  If copyright's an issue, it could be done with an 'ugly'
> Gamebox, with counters that are functional but not pretty.  :)

Where's local for curiousity? I live in the San Francisco Bay area.

> One thing:  I will _not_ charge a line of pikes.  The original question
> was lancers versus halberd and sword.  My thoughttests show that two
> ranks Halberd and Sword can be got through, three ranks is really
> pushing it.  I think Pikes call for archers.  :)

I think Gustavous Adophlus (sic) answer was rapid fire cannon ;) Most
effective. No Pikes.

> From: Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com>
> Subject: Re: (TFT) Cavalry Charge Proposal
>
> The copyright issue is a sticky wicket, but I have the tacit approval
> of Marc Thompson for the distribution of my gameboxes (he saw it, and
> didn't complain but instead thanked me for respecting the copyright).

What copyright do they violate? I didn't think that a megahex would be
copyrightable, especially since I've seen it in earlier wargames used as
a blast zone and other explanations. Did you copy the monster counters?

> From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
> Subject: Re: (TFT) Cavalry Charge Proposal
>
> The Treasure of the Silver Dragon has decent Morale rules and there are
> some in the Ships & Swords article in Space Gamer #24, page 11.

I don't have either, at least I don't think so. Is there a simple
summary you can give?

Thanks
Jim Eckman