Re: (TFT) Number Crunching: Example

John writes:

>What if I say, "OK, you defend.  In my left hand are the three dice
>I will accept as my hit and I won't bother throwing the one in my
>right hand because it won't count.  This becomes the same as Joe not
>having defended at all.

Ok, there's a misunderstanding here.  Joe throws 4 dice and then
takes the highest 3 of those thrown.  Suppose Joe throws the
following: 3, 2, 4, 5.

Under the TFT system, the total of the dice thrown is 14.  Under my
system, the total is 12 (3+4+5).  Since you don't know beforehand
which 3 dice will be the highest, you can't exclude the other die.

Is this any clearer?

Dan

>Also, say an IQ roll is needed by Farsighted Ned to see the pit
>trap and he gets his roll at 6D6.  Does this mean that the GM rolls
>6 dice, chooses three of those dice and that is the result (taking
>into consideration crits and misses?)

Sort of, but the GM doesn't get to pick which 3.  The 3 chosen are
the maximums of those thrown.   If Ned rolls a 2, 5, 3, 1, 4, 6
then the maximums are 4, 5 and 6.  So the roll is a 15.

>Now what about a talent that lets a character defend better?  Say,
>add another Die to make it 5D6.  Or what about a talent that lets
>him immediately counter an attack that he defended:  Sam defends,
>Joe misses or hits, Sam immediately uses his counterattack skill
>at -4DX.

If 5 dice are thrown, you just take the highest 3 of those thrown.

The real beauty of this system comes in on things like Naturalist
(I think it is) where the character gets to throw 2 less die to
notice something.  Lets say there's a situation where a character
needs 3d6 to notice something.  A Naturalist would only have to
throw 1 die which results in an AUTOMATIC success!

In this case, the number of dice needed is less than 3.  So how
does the system work in this case?  Ok ... 1 is 2 less than 3.
Throw 2 extra dice (5 total) but, in this case, you would select
the MINIMUM of those thrown.   So if the throw is 4, 6, 2, 3, 3
then the minimums are 2, 3 and 3 ... so the total is 8.

I hope this helps.

Dan